What's your current Apple/Mac setup at home (and at work)

Current set up at home:

MacBooks White and Black and the iBook are on the shelving unit getting no love.

I need a real camera, my phone just does not produce realistic effects at all…

Looks great!

1 Like

Thanks, Erwin. Pick a theme and go all in on it:

More pictures of the actual full set up tomorrow. I’ll just edit this post.

Night shots:

2 Likes

My new keyboard arrived last week and it’s been an adjustment, but hell, it’s solved my shoulder pain…

2 Likes

MBA, Dell U2419DC, Satechi keyboard and mouse. Note sophisticated laptop stand.
The Dell can also connect to daughters’ MBP and MBA via USB-C to charge and and act as a dock.

A couple bad quality photos of my setup in my garage which thanks to Covid is now my home office.

The only mac in the setup is my work 2019 MBP. I keep my personal 2017 MBP in the house.

Three PC towers for different purposes, one connected to the TV.

Recently got a LIFX light bar which hasn’t been mounted. Some big changes to be made once the Melbourne lockdown changes and I can have a cabinet maker come around. But thought I would share this iteration of it. Hopefully i’ll remember to post some photos when its done.
The blue lighting is coming from some LIFX down lights I have in there as well.
The cabinet on the left contains a switch and a few NAS units.

Too much to list it all, but if you have any questions ill be happy to answer.

1 Like

I did a little iso-reno between the lockdowns to install a new desk etc. eGPU is in a cupboard under desk. Cables when this photo were taken hadn’t been tidied up yet as still working out what was needed. have actually replaced the Mac Pro with a 2018 mini now (same eGPU) but too much junk on desk for a quick photo! :joy:

1 Like

My set up is a bit odd because I do audio work and some voiceover stuff, so I have a ‘booth’ in my understair cupboard. So I have a 27" iMac sitting in my study which is connected to an audio interface and dock and there’s HDMI/XLR cables that go into a wall plate which then has cabling that goes under the floor, into the understair cupboard (studio) and then to an external monitor and a seperate keyboard/mouse, mics and monitor speakers. The idea is that there is no fan noise in the cupboard so its a quiet environment. The monitor is VESA mounted on an arm so it can be swiveled around, as is the mic I use. So yeah odd set up but it works for me and I am pretty happy with it.

1 Like

Photos? :slight_smile:

2015 15" MacBook Pro from @jaysee finally had the battery go plump, so it’s at Apple getting the $200 battery and top case special.

Frankensteining the main union work station, an HP z400, with an Apple Cinema Display attached to a Mac Pro ATI Radeon 5770.

So I could liberate my second monitor and return it home:

Spare laptop being used is the 2011 I restored:

Main Cabinet has been done. A few changes to make still but looking much better now.

3 Likes

Is that Kiyomizudera on the back monitor?

Replacement of my battery and subsequently the top case, very affordable compared to the value it retains, and Apple returned it to my door in 48 hours packaged like a brand new machine.

Well done.

Many more years left for this device, @jaysee!

2 Likes

I do not know. Just a beautiful wallpaper I came across.

Edit: After a quick google search it appears it is.

Been there. It’s quite nice.

Currently, 5K iMac with a custom vinyl wrap - and the ADB keyboard from a black PowerMac.

2 Likes

Love the theme!

Nice wrap on the iMac there Velociraptors.

I’m slowly transitioning away from Apple after nearly 20 years of solid support from myself.

My 2009 and 2010 Mac Pros are being replaced with two new PC builds. I do miss MacOS and Windows 10 will take some getting used to.
Biggest thing I miss is having iMessage on my computer.

Performance wise, the new systems absolutely spank the Mac Pro.

Ryzen 9 5950x CPU with 128GB RAM and RTX 3090 cards.
One machine is production whilst the other will be my pipeline development machine so I don’t “break” my production machine.

Both are to be used for next generation sequencing of viruses.

They are some rare parts you’ve managed to snag there. Especially the CPU. But they are as good as it gets at the moment and not surprised they put any Apple computer to shame in performance. My main PC is running a 10980xe. So a couple more cores but not quite as fast.

Work is home. Home is work. I was moved to work from home Feb '20 and as of one year later was told I was permanently WFH. Forever. I miss the fact I basically could sleep in my office in the most expensive part of Tokyo in the Big Blue World building after a night of too much drinking (24/7 key card access, baby, with gym/showers in the basement) and my god the skyline view, but my apartment isn’t bad either.

I’ve used the pandemic times to start renovating–I have no lease, dirt cheap for this close to Tokyo. I’m slowly converting it to feeling like a resort condo/hotel suite thing.

Set up:

MacBook Black as my DVD player and for running video files that can’t be streamed/streamed well/require soft subtitles to the Chromecast (Chromecast doesn’t like subtitles from VLC as an example).

Yes, that’s a Pioneer Laserdisc player. Mini-Combo Panasonic HiFi: SD/MD/5CD/Cassette/AUX. Toshiba 40" TV from the New Purchases thread. Random secondary speakers currently not housed or set up.

Standing desk/Sideboard “model” (will likely build myself, just using random IKEA parts to get a sense of space, dimension, height, etc. It’s substantially more secured than it may appear. MacBook Pro (thanks @jaysee!) with macOS Catalina for work (because Microsoft Office 365 desktop applications and some other proprietary nonsense like JAMF where web is just not good enough, and WINE isn’t either), or for when I need to sit down/lie down, Linux Mint desktop for play, sometimes for work, depends on what is being done.

Yes, that is a Pioneer record player. Sideboards are also called record cabinets, and I’ve got vinyl in the yellow credenza in the living room. Bose speakers are under the desk. The goal is to figure out a design which can actually integrate the old and the new, my standing desk needs, but also have a way to set the computers “aside” and focus on the “record cabinet” for entertaining, since it sits dead center of the entire space in both rooms.

My back finally started killing me from sitting all the time, and most of my coworkers had standing desks in the office. I came to realise that in the office I was often visiting colleagues to do work with them on their machines, so I wasn’t sitting all day. Or even most of the day! After a year of sitting on my couch or daybed at a coffee table or on my lap, or even at the desk… And before joining the International Overlords in 2019, I was a JHS teacher for 11 years. So… just sitting for 8 hours a day? I’ve never done that. I had to move to standing.

Work Bench/Desk still exists for when I need it.

You can start to get a sense of how the tiny (by non-Japanese standards) apartment has gone from two empty rooms to actually becoming more like an actual multi-purpose living/working/sleeping space.

…the kitchen is still being wholly renovated and is more like a kitchenette by US/European/Commonwealth standards. It’s basically like a small walk in closet in size. We won’t talk about it any longer, at least not until it is done…

1 Like