Which Macbook to buy?

Hi guys, I’ve got a bit of a dilemma. I’m looking to upgrade my old late 2011 Macbook Pro. I hung out until the announcement yesterday too see what the new Pro’s offered. I’m not interested in the top MBP with Touch Bar, it’s overkill for my needs.

My main machine is a 2014 iMac 5K which is a CTO specced up to top configuration. I currently use my MBP as secondary machine for when I need to go mobile, but it’s getting a little tired. I was thinking of picking up a second hand Macbook but I think this may be under-powered and overpriced for my needs. I’m considering the new 13in MBP non-touch bar model, but it’s still pretty pricey.

I am concerned about the integrated GPU as I mainly use my Mac for doing SketchUp models, Photoshop and running Revit via Parallels. Anyone know how good the Intel Iris GPU is in this machine? Do I buy the new low-spec MBP or buy a second hand MBP or Macbook? Keep in mind this machine will only get occasional use. What do you guys think?

Based on this recent article:

According to the document, while all of the ports on the 15-inch MacBook Pro and the 13-inch MacBook Pro without a Touch Bar offer full Thunderbolt 3 performance, only two of the four ports on the 13-inch MacBook Pro with a Touch Bar support Thunderbolt 3 at full performance.

Don’t buy the new 13 inch MBP with touch bar.

1 Like

Where as the non touch bar 13 inch MBP only has two thunderbolt ports so either you get two at full performance, or two at full and two not at full.

1 Like

Thanks guys that’s good to know. The 13in MBP with touch bar is definitely out of the question. I’m not prepared to pay $2700 on a computer for occasional use. I’m leaning towards the non-touch bar 13in or a second hand previous generation MBP. Might wait to see if JB Hi-Fi will be flogging off old stock in the coming weeks or months.

I’d say go the old Pro or an Air - would an Air do for what you need?

I think the Air may be too old and I’d like a retina display. So many factors to consider. I find my old MBP too heavy. Up until yesterday I was considering a space grey Macbook purely on size, weight and colour. Have held off until now because I figured the Macbook may not have the power I need.

I guess the new MBP non-touch bar is smack bang in the middle. If a Macbook is not powerful enough and the new MBP with touch bar is too much, then the other 13in MBP is probably just right. It has the size, weight and colour. It’s the intel Iris GPU and 256 GB SSD that concern me most.

You could always buy a MacBook and return it in the 2 week period if it doesn’t meet your needs. I don’t do much graphics stuff, but have a lot of reasonably powerful spreadsheets that would slow down and freeze my 2011 MBA that the 12" MacBook doesn’t flinch at, and you can’t beat it in terms of portability.

The non touchbar one is the go unless you want serious grunt. The touch bar is nice, but not really all that useful unless developers really embrace it, but I suspect they will not. Too much bother. So why spend the extra dollars?

In fact, the guts of this thing, including screen, should go into the MBA as soon as possible, at MBA prices. It has ultrabook specs.

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. The non-touch bar MBP seems to be the obvious choice. I guess if I sell my current MBP it will reduce the overall cost.

If you’re worried whether a MBP with Iris graphics will be powerful enough, there’s absolutely no chance MacBook will do. For the things you’ve mentioned, I’d say look for a refurb or secondhand 15-inch with dedicated GPU. Any 15-inch with a dedicated GPU will kill anything with integrated for the sorts of things you’re doing. I bought an early 2013 about 6mths ago for $800 or so on AppleTalk. It’s still an amazing machine and for things that use a GPU, faster than new entry level with integrated graphics (although the new integrated could be faster, but I doubt it).

1 Like

Thanks Jaysee. I wasn’t considering a 15in MBP from a portability point of view. I find my current 13in too heavy. I’m going overseas at the end of the year and wanted something light. I can see why a dedicated GPU is better than integrated. Ive been looking up benchmark results for the Intel Iris Graphics 540. I know with using SketchUp the graphics needs to support 100% Open GL. SketchUp is the app I use most for work.

The old 13" rMBP is still for sale. It’s just a bit hidden on the website.

http://www.apple.com/au/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MF839X/A&step=config

Not sure how long it’s going to last for, but I’d be buying one of those over the “touch” model. Or wait for the inevitable JB 10% sale. I certainly wouldn’t be paying full price.

1 Like

Thanks Mitty, good spotting. I see that model base storage is only 128GB SSD to bring it up to 256GB SSD adds $320 to the price making it more expensive than the new 13in MBP non touch bar. The new MBP base storage is 256GB SSD. Yikes, so many choices.

Personally I’m hunting a refurbished mid.2015 MacBook Pro over the Apple Store, to pair with the Apple Care. I need ALL the legacy ports today for my work and at home. So the late 2016 models are a no go for me …

1 Like

Shame they’re still charging highway robbery prices for the baseline 2015 Retina Pro :confused:

The refurbished ones are sold with a 14/15% discount from the standard price. So in circa 200€ less than the brand new price.

Even so, they’re so expensive! The exchange rate has truly screwed things up.

Yes! also the change $ : € was … disappointing (at least)

Mmm yes - partially the exchange rate and partially over charing.

1 Like