With the iPhone 7 Apple changed the camera industry forever

Interesting New Yorker article:

We discussed this issue recently with some divergent and strong views here. Thought I would stir more debate. Personally I haven’t touched my RX110 for a long time and use my iPhone 6s+ for photos and videos. But clearly I’m not a pro and don’t intend to be.

Thoughts?

The iPhone series are the most popular ‘camera’ in use around the world.

No one can deny that nor should they and without doubt they’ve changed the camera industry for ever.

But there will always be a place for large sensors, and fast lenses.

I’m an amateur photographer not a professional but even I have 2 bodies, a dozen lenses, a couple of tripods, a couple of flashes, several bags and sundry accessories totaling over $10,000. A recent poll on a photo website put me in the lower half of $ spent.

People willing to outlay that sort of money on serious cameras aren’t going to give up their DSLRs or Mirrorless cameras for a phone.

2 Likes

I agree with Geoff, the camera phone killed off the point and shoot, but we’re a long way off killing enthusiast level compacts and DSLRs.

The iPhone 7 Plus camera is a huge step forward in camera tech though. No doubt about that!

1 Like

No one can deny that phone cameras are taking over, they have been at least since around camera sales began to fall off in 2008. Everybody can still see phone cameras are horrible and will still be horrible outside of specific phone cameras that have eventually adopt 1inch and larger sensors such as the Panasonic Lumix Phone.

You can’t specifically get enough photosites on a sensor smaller than 1inch to produce a detailed enough image that’s just a matter of maths. When you look at the size of the sensor on an iPhone you see where the issue stems from.

Is the phone camera better than the average compact camera was 10 years ago? Yes, is that much of an effort considering where we’ve come from and where we’re going, no not all. A Phone camera might be convenient but your images are still crap.

End of it. I’ll replace my day to day camera with a phone when the majority of phones have a 1inch sensor and can actually stack up against a decent high end compact, not until.

incorrect thread subject, should be

With the iPhone 7 #Plus#, Apple changed the camera industry forever

iPhone has killed the P&S for sure.

Doesn’t come anywhere near my Fuji XT-1 though…