YouTube - Can't Connect to the Server

Hey team AppleTalk

So here’s a weird one that hasn’t happened to be before, but seems to be a big problem of late. I intermittently can’t connect to YouTube on my Mac using any browser. I just get the Can’t Connect to the Server error.

I don’t run a browser Ad Blocker. I do run Pi-Hole but I’m pretty sure it’s not related as my wife’s Mac is not affected.

I did have 3 network locations configured - Auto, Work, and Home. I’ve removed all those and recreated just Work. So I am on Auto when at home.

Here’s the kicker. If I switch between locations at home it makes YouTube work for a little while. Then it stops again. I haven’t timed it, but t’s usually 30-60 minutes between checking.

I’m really stumped. I’d love to not have to wipe my profile and set up a new one. I haven’t tried creating a new user yet and testing in that, but given my wife’s Mac is OK I think the new user would probably also be OK.

Any ideas?

I should add - the same thing happens if I turn WiFi off and on - i.e. YT starts working again.

Weird. “Can’t connect to server” would suggest DNS issue, especially if it’s happening across multiple browsers, but that doesn’t really explain why it works some of the time.

When you can’t connect to YouTube, does it respond to ping? Does YouTube resolve to the same IP across your network when you can’t connect?

Are you using getflix or some other dns type service? What’s your isp? Have you tried changing dns servers for a change?

No DNS or VPN services involved. Works fine for the other computers in the house all using the same DNS server so can’t be ISP related. I’ll try pings etc when it next happens.