A new case with a 3.5mm headphone port for the iPhone 7

I came across this INDIEGOGO project to create a case to fix the problem of no headphone jack in the iPhone 7 and I’ve taken up 1 of the ‘Super Early Bird’ offers.

I thought there might be some other AppleTalkers who’d also be interested.

9TO5Mac Article about the Headphone Case

Headphone port case for the iPhone 7!

Jesus. They sell it with a freaking dongle. Who needs this?

3 Likes

People who don’t want the inconvenience of an easily lost/broken adaptor. Also people who don’t want 2 adaptors just to charge and listen to music.

2 Likes

Me!

In the past I’ve upgraded my phone each release but this time I’ve stuck with my iPhone 6S+ 128Gb instead of upgrading. Once this project is released and available I can upgrade.

Thanks for sharing. I’ve just supported it as well. Been looking for a lightning port battery case and this fits the bill. The headphone jack is merely a bonus.

I dunno, I guess I’ll never understand, but I’ve tried to. I just can’t see the attraction of adding extra bulk to the device with a big case over using the dongle. But each to their own.

3 Likes

The “you will lose the adaptor” argument bugs me, quite an assumption that it’s any easier to lose than anything else that comes with a phone. You could lose the lightning cable or the included headphones just as easily.

1 Like

Probably just clutching at straws when they don’t really have a much better argument.

Yah I’ve lost a few of those, we have 3 iPhones in the house and originally had 6 Lightning cables, we’re down to 2 at the moment. As for the included headphones I don’t use them, they’re pretty crappy. I have no doubt that at some point I’d lose the included dongle but that’s not my big issue with no headphone port for me.

Most of the time when I’m using my iPhone it’s plugged in charging and playing music or video via the 3.5mm cable (no bluetooth won’t work for me, it’s not supported for music streaming in my Triton work ute or on my Harley motorbike or on my boat stereo) so I need a 3.5mm port.

With the battery case I won’t have to charge as often (less need to find one of the cables at home where I’m not normally plugged in) and if I buy an iPhone 7 to replace my iPhone 6S+ then case and phone will still fit into the phone compartment in my car and the phone compartment on my motorbike.

That means I don’t have to choose between keeping my current phone (which I’ve been doing so far), buying an SE (like my SO did) or buying an Android phone (prefer not to thanks).

I get that not everyone will need or even want one of these but there is a (substantial) group of iOS users who will see this as a solution to their problem.

As for the detractors… well don’t buy one :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I upgrade to a 7 (or whatever’s next) that little adaptor will live on my headphones (since the headphones are only used on the iPhone anyway) so losing it will be harder. If you’re using headphones on multiple devices and plugging/unplugging the adaptor all the time I could see how it might be more of a problem.

1 Like

Yup, that’s pretty much my weekday usage pattern.

morning
unplug phone from dock next to bed, get ready for work.
Plug phone into cable in car and place into phone compartment and drive to work.
Plug phone into cable attached to work computer.
unPlug phone from desk and plug into work car cable,
Return to work, unplug from ute and plug into work computer.
(repeat about 4 times then lunch)
afternoon
as per morning except leave work and plug into car cable and drive home.
get home and plug into stereo dock in lounge room.
go to bed and plug into bed side dock.

weekends
plug into motorbike and go riding or plug into boat stereo and go boating or plug into 4x4 car head unit and go 4 wheel driving/camping.

The point being… my iPhone spends the vast majority of it’s life plugged into one thing or another and almost none being carried around untethered so it’d be a huge nuisance to try and rearrange ALL of the other things to suit an iPhone without a headphone port.

2 Likes

But plugging into what? 3.5mm, charging or both?

For power it obviously doesn’t matter and for the rest, while it’s an extra cost, a couple of adaptors plugged into the things you use solves the problem. If you need both charge AND 3.5mm there are already sub $10 2in1 cables on eBay which would make life easier since you only have to plug in one thing!

All of that said, I know I’m a special kind of special in that I’ve always been happy to buy extra cables or docks just to leave them permanently in different places rather than carry things around… I get that not everyone is like that.

1 Like

In the vehicles and the motorbike the audio cable is plugged into the 3.5mm port and the charging cable is plugged into the lighter socket (which is inside the phone compartment). I can’t use bluetooth for streaming in any of them so I’d have to use a bluetooth to 3.5mm dongle (which would be something else I’d have to remember to charge and to swap between vehicles… annoying).

On both my lounge and bedroom dock units the phone sits upright supported by the 3.5mm headphone port (mainly) and partly by the lightning port. Using an adaptor would mean running cables from the phone to the dock and then pluggin inline sockets into the docks (messy).

At some point the work vehicle will be replaced (probably 4 years) and the motorbike will be replaced (probably 3 years) and I could update the docks (but that’d cost a thousand plus) and I’ll be able to use bluetooth but it’s just not practical at this point in time.

It’s not that I object to the 3.5mm headphone port being removed, it’s just that it’s been done too soon (like the CD drive removal was too soon, now would have been about right for that).

It’s not so much that. It’s just such a massive first world problem. Honestly, I actually envy the people losing their shit over the removal of the headphone jack, if that’s all they have to worry about.

1 Like

Small dongles are easier to loose. As someone who works in IT, people are CONSTANTLY loosing various Mac dongles - especially the Thunderbolt to HDMI ones.

In addition to that, its another thing to forget to take with you.

Just as the whole ‘remove the headphone port its practically cancer’ argument is a first world problem. Apple itself is a first world problem.

1 Like

No ones forcing you to buy their products ¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

Can’t you just leave it attached to your headphones?

2 Likes

I guess this will become less of an issue over time. I have a Scala Rider on my motorcycle, my car caters for lightning as you can plug in an iPhone via USB and it sees it as an iPod with controls in the radio, and Bluetooth for phone calls. Everything else in our house is Bluetooth ready, speakers, hifi, airplay etc so the only time I touch a headphone jack is for travel and that’s when I want my noise cancelling bose headphones and I could leave the adapter permanently attached to that.

Every new car these days has Bluetooth radios so as people sell older vehicles and buy new, these issues will become redundant over a period of time.

1 Like

Especially with CarPlay and Android Auto becoming not so obscure.