Apple Pay in Maps

Bank issued American Express Cards will not be supported at this time.

https://www.americanexpress.com/au/content/apple-pay/

Nice find!

You have the phone and not the card, I have the card and not the phone. :smile_cat:

“Let’s call the whole thing off”

1 Like

The good news is that anyone with a job can more than likely get an eligible Amex. Do I need another credit card? Definitely not. Will I get one? Probably. Though who knows, by the time it actually happens hopefully someone else might throw their hat in the ring:

2 Likes

ANZ have said they’re building their own proprietary payment system and CBA flat-out refuse to answer any questions about it, guessing that means it’s a possibility.

I looked into moving away from CBA before they withdrew their funding from Adani’s Gailee Coal Basin. I don’t really want to do it but I will if they don’t jump onboard with it.

This fascinates me. I have an Amex card and will use Apple Pay with it when it comes out here. However for me it almost has gimmick status. I’m keen on it from a tech point of view - how cool to pay using a phone - but in a practical sense it’s useless. I always have my wallet on me. I have to take my driving licence with me as I drive every day. I use cash daily for coffees and things. Even when I go running I take a wallet with me.

So I see two options when I reach the checkout. One - take wallet from pocket, extract card, touch on Tap and Pay pad. Quick and easy. Two - take phone from pocket and faff around.

OK so I’ll get used to it and I’m sure being Apple the process is well thought out and quick, but what are the advantages apart from the cool factor?

1 Like

If this is true, I’m glad I don’t bank with them.

Well, if it got widespread adoption, you would not need to take anything but your phone with you. No credit cards, no wallet. Isn’t that the idea?

Is it? My point is that if that’s as far as it goes right now, it’s not going to make the mainstream. We don’t yet live in a cashless society and it can’t fully replace a wallet whilst you have to have your driving licence on you to drive.

No, but you can leave your wallet in your car while you’re at the shops.

I for one am looking forward to it launching here. I walk or run 5-7kms a day most days after work. On my walking days often I’ll stop for food. Not having to carry my bank card or not having to get $20-$50 cash out with CBA careless cash and then walk 2-3ks home with money jingling around in my pocket (and checking every 5 minutes to make sure the banknotes are still there) will be a godsend.

2 Likes

Bellboy make a very nice leather iPhone case that you can stick your drivers licence in Tom.

I don’t like doing that, I worry someone would see me leaving it the glovebox and break into the car.

You need a shoe wallet. Brilliant.

I don’t like phone cases as they spoil the design of the phone but that’s a whole new discussion!

I personally don’t mind the practicality of it. I’m into gadgets and gizmos and I’d use ApplePay all the time if I had a compatible phone. It wouldn’t save time in today’s world, but it sure would be fun!

It’s small steps with the mass adoption of technology. Without contactless terminals we wouldn’t have ApplePay, without ApplePay (and other smartphone NFC solutions) we wouldn’t stand a chance of having things like our drivers licences held digitally at some future point.

Not a great appeal today, but a necessary building block in future technologies.

1 Like

It’s not just credit cards that people have to carry though.

In my wallet I have a heavy vehicle endorsed drivers license, a High Risk Work (fork lift) license, a plastic First Aid card with multiple endorsements on it, a Working With Children check card and several cards for memberships of various clubs and places.

None of those would be accepted as digital versions of themselves.

I can’t realistically see wallets going away any time soon and I suspect that the whole concept is invalid and it’s going to end up like the ‘paperless office’ concept of the 90’s which was what computers were going to enable.

1 Like

Nobody’s forcing you to use it, but clearly there are people here who will find it useful in ways that you won’t.

And there’s nothing wrong with that, and no ones going to force you to use it either.

No, of course they’re not! But as I said in my post earlier it fascinates me as a) I love the tech aspect of it, but b) it solves a problem I don’t have. It particularly interests me that people are willing to go through the hell of changing banks to use applepay! Nothing wrong with that, but I don’t see it, that’s all.

I should also add that it made much more sense to me when released in the States where they still do signature card payments. Chip and Pin is coming this year I think, and I’m not sure there are contactless cards there. Welcome to the future!

1 Like

Ha ha, I have one of those supposedly. I still end up stuffing piles of irrelevant paper into the security bins etc. not to mention the people who still send their invoices in the mail and pay your invoices by cheque…

Relevant:

3 Likes

I LOVE storing all my licences etc in 1Password. If I had ApplePay, I’d totally just leave my cards in the car all the time (locked in the glovebox!) and then carry a phone + keys! I basically only shop at places that take card with Tap & Go, and that includes a single coffee every morning at my local! :wink:

:smiley:

1 Like