Apple Pay in Maps

I’ve got an Amex issued Amex card, it’s not my main card but I use it as a back up when travelling.

It should work with Apple Pay by what people have said.

Hmm, wonder if the 9.2 beta adds the ability to add cards to Apple Pay for AU users.

2 Likes

That would be awesome. I don’t have Amex but this is a big step, considering how long we have been waiting for it

Keep in mind the Murray Review too. If the government bans merchants for charging credit card fees in excess of the actual costs incurred and is also reviewing interchange fees, then Amex might become a bigger player in the market here

Not that long in the grand scheme of things. It only just got outside the US a few months ago and that was in the UK.

I definitely won’t be getting an AMEX card just for Apple Pay, not big on credit cards myself. If it were a bank that was getting Apple Pay though, i’d open an account in a heart beat. I would just simply use that extra account for general spending while keeping my current account for everything else.

I’ve got CBA debit/credit cards and savings accounts with CBA. They’re normally a pretty tech savvy bank. I won’t leave them for not being the first to adopt Apple Pay, but I will divest if they try to compete with Apple Pay using their own Tap & Pay technology and won’t adopt it as a result.

3 Likes

I am 100% with you there on that point, if they do not use Apple Pay and instead use something else to compete, I will go elsewhere.

This is interesting in retrospect:

This will allow consumers to make contactless debit payments using eftpos from their mobile devices by May 2016, most likely first at the big supermarkets Coles and Woolworths, two of its shareholders along with the banks.

The tokenisation service is a security feature using tokens (in effect another security number) based on the original eftpos card number. This token system gives added protection to consumers.

Apple Pay, which is still trying to get the banks to pay it part of their fees before it launches in Australia, would prefer to deal with just a few global token vaults rather than thousands of separate ones at banks and merchants.

My bet is now on an Eftpos-supported version of Apple Pay launching in May at Coles and Woolies.

Bank issued American Express Cards will not be supported at this time.

https://www.americanexpress.com/au/content/apple-pay/

Nice find!

You have the phone and not the card, I have the card and not the phone. :smile_cat:

“Let’s call the whole thing off”

1 Like

The good news is that anyone with a job can more than likely get an eligible Amex. Do I need another credit card? Definitely not. Will I get one? Probably. Though who knows, by the time it actually happens hopefully someone else might throw their hat in the ring:

2 Likes

ANZ have said they’re building their own proprietary payment system and CBA flat-out refuse to answer any questions about it, guessing that means it’s a possibility.

I looked into moving away from CBA before they withdrew their funding from Adani’s Gailee Coal Basin. I don’t really want to do it but I will if they don’t jump onboard with it.

This fascinates me. I have an Amex card and will use Apple Pay with it when it comes out here. However for me it almost has gimmick status. I’m keen on it from a tech point of view - how cool to pay using a phone - but in a practical sense it’s useless. I always have my wallet on me. I have to take my driving licence with me as I drive every day. I use cash daily for coffees and things. Even when I go running I take a wallet with me.

So I see two options when I reach the checkout. One - take wallet from pocket, extract card, touch on Tap and Pay pad. Quick and easy. Two - take phone from pocket and faff around.

OK so I’ll get used to it and I’m sure being Apple the process is well thought out and quick, but what are the advantages apart from the cool factor?

1 Like

If this is true, I’m glad I don’t bank with them.

Well, if it got widespread adoption, you would not need to take anything but your phone with you. No credit cards, no wallet. Isn’t that the idea?

Is it? My point is that if that’s as far as it goes right now, it’s not going to make the mainstream. We don’t yet live in a cashless society and it can’t fully replace a wallet whilst you have to have your driving licence on you to drive.

No, but you can leave your wallet in your car while you’re at the shops.

I for one am looking forward to it launching here. I walk or run 5-7kms a day most days after work. On my walking days often I’ll stop for food. Not having to carry my bank card or not having to get $20-$50 cash out with CBA careless cash and then walk 2-3ks home with money jingling around in my pocket (and checking every 5 minutes to make sure the banknotes are still there) will be a godsend.

2 Likes

Bellboy make a very nice leather iPhone case that you can stick your drivers licence in Tom.