Apple Watch 3 Upgrade

G’day,

My wife’s Apple Watch 3 has started to die after about half a day’s use - goes to a black screen, non responsive. As soon as she sits it back on the charger, it wakes and says it has 70% battery… But obviously that’s not an accurate read.

I am assuming it’s time for a new battery, and see Apple charge $129. Kind of a big cost, considering I only paid about $135 for the watch (second hand), and I see 4th gen watches sell for about $150 on eBay.

Problem - Before the Apple Watch, my wife tried a Garmin. It had sensors on it that ended up burning her skin. We therefore chose the Apple Watch 3 specifically because it uses light sensors, not electric…

Looking online now… I see there’s certainly people out there who have been effected by the Apple Watch 4’s sensors burning them…

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251463661?page=7

Anyone here have that issue?

Guess I’ve answered my own question anyways. :slight_smile:

$129 for a new battery, to keep using a device my wife is happy with… (or find a local shop to do it here in Geelong, probably for less, with a generic battery from China…)

Maybe I’ll look at a 4 for myself :slight_smile:

For the time being I’ve given her my Watch3, cos I haven’t been wearing it anyways, because my band broke and the original plastic one gets uncomfortable on my own skin.

Cheers

cosmic

I had a series 4 for years without issue. Another family member has it now. I have never heard of the burning issue. I think the series 4 (all Apple watches?) use green visible light sensors too

The band that I bought for my Apple Watch 3, before I gave it to my wife and took her dying-battery-one, arrived… Just a $13 stainless steal jobby off eBay. Feels ok, I think, though as someone who sits at a desk typing all day, I have found the Apple Watch a bit intrusive when typing… Will be curious to see how this new band goes… Also curious to see if the battery lasts better for me, than it did for my wife…

Meanwhile I guess I’ll start looking at the Apple Watch SE on eBay…

Interesting remarks about burning. My Watch 5 doesn’t burn but I have an area on my wrist which is slightly discoloured, as if tanned (a little) It really is barely noticeable and not something I feel when wearing the watch. I’m contemplating a battery replacement but given that the watch isn’t worth a penny to a pinch of snot, why bother. I’ll get a new or refurbed watch when the time comes.

If you google Apple Watch burns you’ll see a bunch of pics.

It’s probably not a “burn”… but there’s certainly people who react badly to it.

1 Like

For those following this thread, the following is reproduced from The Apple Watch User Guide:

Skin sensitivities
Some people may experience reactions to certain materials used in jewelry, watches, and other wearable items that are in prolonged contact with their skin. This can be due to allergies, environmental factors, extended exposure to irritants like soap, sweat, or other causes. You may be more likely to experience irritation from any wearable device if you have allergies or other sensitivities. If you have known skin sensitivities, please take special care when wearing Apple Watch. You may be more likely to experience irritation from Apple Watch if you wear it too tightly. Remove Apple Watch periodically to allow your skin to breathe. Keeping Apple Watch and the band clean and dry will reduce the possibility of skin irritation. If you experience redness, swelling, itchiness, or any other irritation or discomfort on your skin around, or beneath, your Apple Watch, please remove Apple Watch and consult your physician before resuming wear. Continued use, even after symptoms subside, may result in renewed or increased irritation.

Apple Watch models with a stainless steel or aluminum case, the stainless steel portions of some Apple Watch bands, the metallic portions of Hermès bands, and the magnets in the watch and bands contain some nickel. Nickel exposure from these materials is unlikely, but customers with known nickel allergies should be attentive when wearing them until they can determine they are not experiencing an allergic reaction.

The Apple Watch case and the Apple Watch bands contain trace amounts of acrylates and methacrylates. Acrylates and methacrylates are found in many consumer products that come in contact with the skin, such as adhesive bandages. Some people may be sensitive to them, or may develop sensitivities over time. Apple Watch and its bands are designed so that parts containing acrylates and methacrylates are not in direct contact with your skin.

The materials used in Apple Watch and the Apple Watch bands meet the standards set for jewelry by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, applicable European regulations, and other international standards.

(I have not had a problem with my Series 1, Series 4 or Ultra)

2 Likes

Yeah I did as you suggested and I see many “burns” which to me look like allergy things, especially those which are in the strap areas. My skin used to become irritated by the silicone bands so I stopped using those and went to nylon instead. No issues since.