Downgrade Apple watch?

Hello!

I have recently purchased an Apple Watch Series 7 to give as a gift to an elderly relative that uses an iPhone 8+.

However, upon receiving the watch, I’ve found it’s already updated to OS10, which I’m presuming means it’s no longer compatible with the phone (running iOS16).

I have yet to see the relative, so cannot confirm the incompatibility, but everything I’ve read states they will not work together, despite the fact the watch 7 was originally compatible with the iPhone 8.

Is it possible to downgrade the watch at all? Or could they still work together despite the stated OS incompatibility? Surely there must be some people out there with an iPhone 8 who wanted to update their watch when the chance came…

Any help appreciated.

It should work. Can’t think why it wouldnt. WatchOs 10 on my Watch 5 was quite happy connecting with my SE2020 when it was on iOS 16.

Was it paired already before the update, Kyte? My concern is pairing it as a new watch with watch OS being too new for the phone

Yes it was… no idea how you’d check, then.

Can confirm that although the two would have originally been compatible, they could not work together with the watch on os10. Will now seek out an iPhone SE 2, so the relative can have a phone with a home button that works with more recent Apple Watch.