iPad eSIM with Optus?

Anyone know what the cost is to add a iPad (data) to an exiting mobile phone account with Optus?

I spoken with someone over the phone and the chat within their app, and they didn’t seem to understand what I wanted.

I plan to just drop into a store front next time, hoping someone has done this and can share costs, if it’s eSIM (iPad Pro) or physical SIM, and if it took long.

[fortunately I was not of of the 10k people whose day was accessed]

$15 a month is the minimum spend.
Note: if you’re on an old mobile phone plan, they will not data share unless you shift the mobile phone plan to a current in market plan.

Thanks.

I (think I) am on an older plan.

I’ve only just started using the iPad enough with (phone as hot spot) enough to consider it. I pay for my watch (on same data plan) and I don’t see paying another $15 to not hotspot from my phone as worth it…

I miss the good old days when I got a free SIM with every phone plan to stick into an iPad or something. Or the $5 extra SIMs… now the ‘whole other data plan’ makes it way more expensive.

2 Likes

Exactly why I replaced my previous iPad (which had a SIM slot) with a wifi model last time.

I just hotspot from my phone and the $15 (ish) lets me get a better phone plan.

I’m in the same boat with my iPad… Both it and my MBP show me “Personal Hotspot” networks at the top of the list… It’s an extra 2 clicks or 3 taps but it’s better than $15-20 a month extra…

How do you find this affects battery life on the phone? People used to say it would discharge it pretty quickly. Has that improved?

It has some effect but nothing that’s ever been a big issue.

Having said that I’ve got chargers most places I use the iPad.

1 Like

It seems like price gouging, especially when its just an eSim. Looks like phone-as-hotspot is the way to go

1 Like

Interestingly, Telstra now have the cheapest data share SIMs at $10. The only issue is they only work on the $68 or higher monthly plans.