IPad Pro chargers

I’m trying to use my iPad Pro (12.9 5th Gen) only when in I go into the office, though having issues with charging.

Interested in others’ experiences.

Using the 20W charger that came with it, charge goes down whilst using, even simple browsing/document editing.

Will a 30W charger (MBP charger) be sufficient to keep charge/actually charge the iPad?

Any other recommendations? Thx

From memory it supports up to 40W charging. A higher power output charger should help. There are many third party chargers that may be worth looking at from companies like Belkin or Anker.

I like this one quite a lot. Couple USB-C connectors at both 20W and 45W respectively. Also has a couple of USB-A ports as well. Handy to charge the iPad as well as phone / watch / headphones / etc.

1 Like

Quick Q. I noticed that I was using a USB-C to USB-A adapter and a USB-A to USB-C cable with the 20W charger (what I had).

Might the adapter/cable be the bottleneck?

Thx

If the adaptor or cable is stopping it stepping up the voltage to push more power it could be.

I have one of these things that I use to see what power is actually getting passed to devices. Handy to test cable/adaptors from time to time.

I probably got mine from Aliexpress, but it looks the same as thisL

USB-A can only provide about 5W.

USB can provide up to 2.4A at 5V or 12W where the new USB PD (which is what you typically get with USBC chargers) has more options.

The USB-PD outputs include 5V@3A(15W), 9V@3A(27W), 15V@3A(45W), 20V@5A(100W), and 48V@5A(240W). (Although I didn’t realise that last one until just now)

**I should add, this will all be dependant on what the individual charger is capable of and sometimes the cable can interfere with that too. USBPD starts at lower power output and requires the device and the charger to negotiate more power, if your cable or device can’t do that it won’t get the extra juice.

Then bring in weirdness like the Nintendo Switch and it’s odd power adaptor. Sadly, a USB C shaped connector doesn’t actually mean anything by itself :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks all, just to clarify, its the Apple 20W charger that came with my iPad Pro. I’ll try it with a USB-C cable.

USB C is complex and confusing

Ensure you use a USB C cable that is designed for charging at the maximum power your charger can deliver. Label the cable for its purpose so you remember what it is for.

Although they, may look the same, different USB C cables can be designed for charging at different maximum power deliveries, and for different data speeds for different hardware interfaces (eg Thunderbolt 3) at different speeds.