Mac OS X Ventura

Anyone upgraded to Mac OS X Ventura yet? If so, what do you think so far (especially regarding System Settings)?

I upgraded, then promptly forgot. I haven’t noticed or looked at any of the changes.

Upgraded all my active macs. iMac Pro and 4 x Mac Mini’s, Seems ok so far.

System preferences takes a bit of getting used to and a couple of little things appear to have changed slightly within the preferences, can’t remember what they are off the top of the head. But they aren’t showstoppers for me.

I have upgraded without any problems and all my apps work fine.
There is a good article here:

1 Like

There are quite a few good guides available. I normally don’t upgrade until the first update is out but I haven’t heard of any problems. I might even upgrade my 2015 MBP with Open Core Legacy Patcher.

@hawker, what do you do with 4 Mac minis?

1 - Plex server
1 - download sever
1 - dvd rips and transcode (HandBrake)
1 - M1 mini, at the moment it’s just a spare, but I’m probably going to make it my transcode machine.

Let me know if you want to sell one. :slight_smile:

Unless these machines also serve the purpose of just general use, what was your reasoning behind running multiple Mini’s instead of one more powerful computer to handle all the tasks?

I’ve always had at least 2 mini’s. Honestly the M1 was only so I could compare speeds and see how Apple Silicon compares to Intel moving forward.

I was doing most of this on my old Trash Can Mac Pro, which handled it all fine, however as time moved on and I inherited a mini (or more a half size) server rack off a work mate, I migrated to that with my two NAS’s boxes and found the whole thing had more room and ran cooler just running 2, followed by 3 mini’s.

So for my Final Cut Pro stuff, I use my iMac Pro and for other dvd rips and transcodes I use a mini. Sort of works out better for me.

I actually do a lot of dvd rips and transcodes as I get preview copies of DVD and blu ray TV series for one of my sideline hobbies.

Plus deep down I guess I just like to keep things seperate.

How does your M1 Mac mini compare to your iMac Pro? I’m astonished by mine. Running Photoshop it’s unbelievable & I’ve even noticed a drop in my electricity bill!

1 Like

Haven’t had time to test with FCP and Photoshop, but the few little things I’ve thrown at it, it’s been fast and amazing.

Makes sense. Was just a curiosity. I have several computers around my house and some are just down to having one in a particular location.

I run Plex off a Synology NAS myself. But I have also ended up collecting multiple NAS units over time and really should consolidate them. I plan to move one offsite to my folks place and mirror backups to it so that I have my backups in a second physical location as well.
I’ve spec’d out a new NAS that I want to get but all up it’ll cost about $4k. So will be holding off on that one a little while as its more a nice to have rather than an immediate need. But I am looking forward to getting 10gbe on a NAS.

Yeah I used to run QNAP boxes, but moved to Synology, I ran Plex on the first box for a while. But with more 4K content and most tv shows now in 1080p, it was struggling. So moved to a Mac Mini and things have been great. Nice and fast…

Also running downloads and that type of content on another system keeps things cleaner.

All automated these days.

1 Like

I finally looked at System Settings. There has been so much talk online and criticism about this upgrade. It has been rewritten to be more like Settings on the iPhone and iPad.

I haven’t encountered any problems as yet. It seems easy to navigate.

From the few videos I’ve seen online of System Settings it looks like a bit of a mixed bag. Some settings have been made more accessible & others haven’t. There doesn’t seem to be much logic to it in some respects seeing it’ll be on a horizontal screen but looks like it’s made for a vertical one.

I upgraded my 2018 Mini to Ventura with no issues. Everything works as it should.
I was surprised at the changes to Settings, it’s now more like they are on an iPad but the vertical orientation is the major change. I haven’t had a chance to delve deeply into everything yet but so far, so good

I downloaded & installed Open Core Legacy Patcher last night on my 2015 13” MacBook Pro so I might have a go at installing Ventura sometime this week if I get a chance.

Wondering about the validity of Stage Manager as another form of task switcher. It doesn’t work when running multiple monitors. It seems they didn’t really try it out on a workstation with another monitor to the left or when windows are full screen and if a keyboard shortcut should be included. Nice idea and I’d use it except I can never find it in full-screen and my mouse just moves straight past whatever zone enables it through to the monitor to the left. (Please don’t tell me to move my screens around. I have four.)

Installed Ventura on my 2015 13" MacBook Pro today with Open Core Legacy Patcher. Had a couple of little hiccups but it’s running well now. Haven’t enabled Stage Manager yet. I might try it but it’s not something I can see myself using going forward.

I’m running it on all of my Macs, with the exception of my daily ride at work (because I can’t afford to break anything at work).

Only thing I’ve had trouble with so far - you can’t set the preferential order for WiFi networks.