MacBook keyboard woes

Was glad to see recently that Apple will honour keyboard repairs on current MacBook’s for up to 4 years from release date.

Took my wife’s MacBook back into Apple on Monday. Hoping the keyboard is replaced again (2nd time since we purchased it).

:frowning:

1 Like

Is it only MacBook 12’s that have the problem or the MacBook Pro range as well?

It’s for the following machines… Check out link below;

here.

Models:

To identify your computer’s model and to see if it is eligible for this program, choose Apple () menu > About This Mac. Eligible models are listed below.

MacBook (Retina, 12-­inch, Early 2015)
MacBook (Retina, 12­-inch, Early 2016)
MacBook (Retina, 12-­inch, 2017)
MacBook Pro (13­-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-­inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-­inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-­inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (15-­inch, 2016)
MacBook Pro (15-­inch, 2017)

Note: No other Mac notebook models are part of this program.

In other words every laptop they’ve ever shipped with the new style kb. :man_shrugging::grimacing::man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Appears so. They suck.

2 Likes

Keyboard seem a little unresponsive? Pick up, turn over, shake… Watch the shower of dead skin cells, crumbs, hair, etc… Ahh, that’s better.

Surely Apple’s development team must have thought to test the keyboard out with a bucket of that crap that falls out of people’s keyboards?

I know some people have pristine tech that isn’t sullied by food particles, or 2yo kids, but dust gets everywhere…

1 Like

I actually like the feel of them - just not the durability & reliability. Most recent keyboards change in feel over time, but the new laptop ones seem to change faster than the old ones.

On a related note, I really like the new black magic Keyboard. It feels different to me from the original magic keyboard. Could be cause it’s new… :man_shrugging: But I’d LOVE this keyboard in a new MacBook Pro. I reckon we’ll get it in the next update.

Personally I despise the feel of them and find them completely unusable.

2 Likes

I hate using my wife’s MacBook to type anything. Perhaps if I used it daily I might like it. But walking up and doing something on her machine just drives me insane - so I don’t touch it usually unless I really must do something on it.

I wouldn’t say I find them completely unusable but they’re certainly a step backwards from the earlier designs.

My MacBook Pro (13-­inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports) been having sticky keys since the day I bought i (Sept 2017). I only have 1 laptop and it’s my main device. Does anyone know how long it’ll take to replace the keyboard?

I’ve been quoted 3-5 days at an Apple Store recently.

5-7 days from Apple Store Sydney… Still waiting.

The worst thing is, even if you get a new keyboard, quite likely you’re going to have the problem again in the future, unless you keep it spotlessly clean.

They are a terrible design choice!!

1 Like

Form over function

This will be our 2nd replacement since it was purchased brand new. I told my wife get it fixed and perhaps sell it and change to an older generation machine.

Got a call yesterday evening to say that our MacBook is ready for pickup. Will go to Apple Store Sydney tomorrow to pick it up during my break.

Picked up machine today… see if my wife approves (or can notice a difference in the keyboard).