MacBook Pro M1 upgrade

Hi, 1st post. Been reading a lot lately but not getting very far. Joined here, looked through topics but couldn’t find anything super recent about the new supposed release of the 14” & 16” upgraded MacBook Pro M1’s rumoured to be around NOW! Recently had a 2010 MBP screen die. Been living on my 2016 27” iMac (which I love) and was going to wait for the release of the new rumoured 32” iMac M1 mid 2022 but it’s a long time to wait. Thinking of ordering this new MBP coming, buying a keyboard & mouse and new large display to connect it to and running things that way. I’m a pro photographer with a huge Lightroom Catalog and external HHD’s using thunderbolt connections. I’m trying to work out what screen to buy and whether a USB-C connection is good enough as they all seem to have them and not Thunderbolt. (guess that’s just an Apple thing) Any thoughts?
PS: Not keen on paying for the exuberantly priced Apple display screen, even though I’m sure they are great.

An October event is still considered likely. See:

1 Like

The new Mac Mini may be a less expensive solution for you. It may be less expensive than the 16” MBP.

1 Like

Expect an announcement from Apple within 10 days for an October event for November availability of new 14" and 16" M1X MacBook Pros, as well as a new Mac mini.

1 Like

Thanks snarl, I’ll probably end up getting the 16 inch as I hate working with images on a small screen. I also need to replace my laptop so I can work when I’m away from home.

I’m hoping that the rumours are true that a) MagSafe comes back. b) The Touch Bar at least becomes optional not to have and c) SD card reader and HDMI come back.

1 Like

And don’t forget that the 16" MacBook Pro, high-end Mac mini and the 27" iMac have yet to go to Apple silicon because the M1 chip only supports a maximum 16 GB RAM. The “M1X” chip will support 32 GB RAM, and next year’s “M2” chip should support 64 GB RAM, or at least that’s what the rumours suggest.

EDIT. I’m reading suggestions that the M1X chip may support 64 GB RAM

1 Like