New purchases thread!

:joy: Now that’s a great quote!

Bought some discounted Apple cards. Anyone else catch that deal?

I presume no one else took advantage of the 15% discount on Apple Cards at giftcards.com.au. My friend bought $1500 (for $1275) while I bought $2000 (for $1700). He bought an iPad Pro while I will wait for the iPhone 15 later this year. I’m also considering getting the AirPods Pro 2 with USB-C case, although my AirPods Pro 1 still work 100% so I might end up waiting for the 3rd gen.

2 Likes

Apple cards … summer quarter electric bill…. nope, not me.

Thankfully I can afford to pay my utility bills and perhaps a new iPhone every five years (at 15% off)! Every year I’ve held out and said “maybe next year”, and other than poor battery life, my iPhone XS still goes ok. My eyesight ain’t what it used to be so I’m looking forward to going from 5.8” to 6.1” (or maybe 6.7”, not sure about going that big though). Bring on USB-C and a much smaller notch!

1 Like

I picked up one these today… (in as new condition) :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The ex and I bought one of those new… I was very impressed with the sound.

We eventually stopped using it because it had the old style 30 pin connector on top and none of our devices were still using those by then.

We did try and adaptor but it was flimsy and put a lot of stress on the port on the phones.

Before I picked it up, i looked at options. This looks to have potential (with a few adapters) for full remote experience. Have the dock on desk, for example.

The one I picked up came with with one of these, and it seems to work well so far (volume on remote only)

1 Like

This is neat. Would give a clean look.
Depending on its positioning though, there are alternate bluetooth options as well.

1 Like

Dude! Mad jealous. We had one of them back at my first job and it sounded incredible. It ran off an AirPort Express plugged into the Aux port on the back.

I’ve seen guides of people pulling them apart and putting an AirPort Express inside one.

1 Like

Bought my 2nd Air Tag, this one for my car. Just want to try it out and see how accurate it is.

1 Like

I found a write-up of putting the Airport Express inside an iPod Hifi. Whist it looks good, the usual apple tear down issues were there.

Ands as clean looking as it is, the bluetooth receive I have is small enough to not bother with doing a similar mod myself.

1 Like

A work colleague has been using the Medibank Live Better app to earn points and redeem awards. He has previously earned enough points for an Apple Watch Series 7 45mm Cellular, and this week he received Airpods Pro (2nd Gen). I asked him what he had to do to earn points. He said drink water, do some walking, complete challenges on either a FitBit or Apple Watch. I’m a bit jealous that he got over $1000 of Apple products for free!

3 Likes

I can see some merit in such schemes. However, I am with Medibank Private and I would much rather that they scrap such schemes and reduce their premiums.

2 Likes

I’m also with Medibank, no chance I’ll be taking advantage of their rewards scheme. Lower premiums would be good, for months I’ve been meaning to review and probably change all of my insurance providers. I have tended to avoid reward schemes ever since I lost over 100,000 Ansett points many years ago.

The rewards schemes only work if it works for the company providing them… and even if you’re not under a rewards scheme with your particular bundle, you’re probably still subsidising it…

Couldn’t afford health insurance when I was 30, so don’t have it now I’m 45 and would have to pay $xx more.

It’s always worth looking at insurance… what coverage you’re actually getting and what else is out there. Have just shuffled our insurance over to our new house, but intend to do a proper review within the next 12 months.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more. After years of membership we found that Medibank’s Extras cover is really just a payment plan, not insurance at all. We dropped it. We also found that their Silver Plus Hospital Cover was worse value for us than Gold Cover.

As with many services now days, loyal customers are not looked after, they are ripped off.

1 Like

Yep, new customers are more important than customer retention….

Ok - iiNet did give me a reasonable discount to stay…

1 Like

I just got myself a hot water dispenser from Kmart. My arthritic hands and fingers are now having trouble lifting heavy kettles and jugs of water and it seemed like a good deal. I don’t think the water is as hot as its supposed to be, but its hot enough for me for now. It only takes seconds for the water to come to temp and be dispensed to your cup or mug and when you’re done, it turns itself off. Max power is only drawn when its in action. I read the Productreview reviews after I had bought it… disappointing… so I expect I’ll be looking for something different before many months have passed, but its fine for now.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea. The last thing you want to do is scald yourself with boiling water. My arthritis has been slowly getting worse but the warmer weather will help a bit hopefully.