New purchases thread!

Swipe up, pause for a moment and then let go which will have you in the task switcher, then swipe the app away

1 Like

Thanks!!

This is what I do if I’m wanting to reset an app or go to recents. What I can’t work out is how I keep accidentally invoking it when I don’t mean to. Anyone have the secret for this?

I must be an outlier here. I’m still underwhelmed by mine. And I’m starting to wonder if my battery might have some sort of fault or maybe I’m going nuts. I just feel like I’m forever charging it after not using it a whole lot.

And it’s too big. If only I could get a modern version of the 1st gen SE, I would be a happy camper.

I was hoping thats what the second gen would be. At least the mini is a tad smaller than the SE2020.

1 Like

I’m on my second phone without a home button (Xr then 12) and I still miss the home button.

I get Apple wanting to avoid a physical button that was a failure point but a soft screen button would have been simple to implement and would avoid that horrible ‘double right click’ to confirm action that I haven’t gotten used to (and I doubt I will).

That’s unfortunate, you’re the first person I know about who hasn’t grown to love it

12 Mini, White, 128Gb.

I’m getting used to it but I could not say I love it. I miss the area in which the Home Button is housed, too. often find myself wondering why the screen isn’t responding before realising a stray finger or part of hand is sitting elsewhere on the screen, stopping other interaction. Considered sending it back, but I’m just outside the 14 days.

1 Like

12 Mini, Black, 64GB

I was not enthused with FaceID to start with, as I found my phone unlocked too easily when it was out of my pocket. I fixed this by turning off “Raise-to-Wake”.

It looks great without a cover, but given the cost of the phone, I bought and use the black Apple MagSafe leather case. I liked my 4S and 5S best with a bumper. Maybe I should find a bumper for the 12 Mini.

I also bought the Apple MagSafe leather wallet. It is hard to keep the wallet attached when taking the phone out of my jean’s pocket.

Given I pay everything with Apple Pay, if I carry my driving license in the MagSafe wallet, then I no longer need to carry my standalone wallet. It allows me to avoid the need to fit three large items (my phone, my standalone wallet and my car keys) into my two front pockets in my jeans.

You must wear tighter jeans than I :slight_smile:

Just bought this wireless carplay dongle for my new Santa Fe

I will do a review on the weekend.
Spoiler: it works very well most of the time, bit slower to connect than the aftermarket wireless carplay head unit in my Mazda.

It’s been a while since I’ve visited the forum, but while I was away I adopted this little bugger :smiley:

5 Likes

Oh how absolutely delightful! What a cutie :slight_smile:

Bought a piece of land at Phillip Island in December. We’ve decided to do the clichéd thing and move to regional given the flexibility of remote working.

Going to be 12 months until the build is complete but it’s given us time to make it close to 100% carbon neutral with solar/batteries, rain water tanks, septic etc.

7 Likes

I relented and bought the new Apple TV Siri remote. It’s smaller than I imagined and my initial annoyance at the Play/Pause button being relocated is something that a few days of new muscle memory will overcome.

Some observations:
-of course it should have a U1 chip but that’s not a dealbreaker
-the Mute button is much appreciated, as is the Power button although that was not as necessary as the TV could be switched off with the Gen1 Siri remote, it just didn’t have a dedicated button
-the lightning port is not as tight as it was on the Gen1 remote in that the wrist loop (no longer sold) does not clip in
-if you place the remote face down it will likely trigger a clickpad action (annoying*), this could have been avoided by making the clickpad flush with the surface rather than raised
-silver colour is better than black
-still getting used to scrubbing action (circular motion or swipe left/right)
-have not been able to skip 10s back and forth as I could with the Gen1 remote
-I have no issue with the Back button being contextual and doing different things (a complaint of Rene Ritchie). This was the case with the iPhone home button in the it would do different things depending on where you were, in an app it would close the app, on a home page it would take you to the first home page, etc.

*EDIT: just found a setting. Remote and Devices - Clickpad - Click and Touch (or Click Only). Also I just found out that the Home/TV button is configurable, not sure if it was with the Gen1 remote. You can configure it to go Home or open the Apple TV app. Ideally, you could program this to open an app you choose.

1 Like

Was going to post my first impressions, after a couple days with a Siri remote (my old one died), the I saw @kerr has already

Whereas I liked the previous version, I see this as an improvement.

Adding to what @kerr has shared —

• it feels different in the hand in a good way: increased weight and thickness alongside larger size
  • I haven’t had the clickpad trigger when placed face down
  • I am also still getting used the the circular scrubbing. Will take some time
  • I am also still working out skipping 10s too (though this was not working on my previous remote for a while, so my technique is rusty)
  • Siri on the side will take some getting used to (I also only just got a phone with Siri on the side, so not muscle memory yet)

The setting on for home/TV button is configurable for the previous remote too.

1 Like

I may be in the minority but I know the Gen1 siri remote was not much-loved, I didn’t have a problem with it hence my temporary hesitation to buy the new remote. But I like new tech.

After changing Touch Surface Tracking from Medium to Slow, that seems to have mitigated any issues with placing the remote face down.

DO NOT LIKE: the mute symbol on the screen and how it moves up and down every few seconds, I have never seen that behaviour with a tv remote. The icon should be fixed to a corner.

LIKE: Siri button on the side, and that the remote can stand up on a table, that impressed me :slight_smile:

Likely pixel shifting to reduce risk of burn in on plasma and oled displays

1 Like

Good point. I have seen some TVs where the mute icon actually disappears after a few seconds. I don’t think an on-screen mute icon is actually necessary, if the sound is not on, you can press the mute or volume buttons.

Hi folks,
Here’s a few new purchases from me.

Firstly, just something I discovered through Amazon (I’m not a Amazon shopper really) but I couldn’t go past these USB dual drives, with a USB A connector on one end and a USB C on the other. So many uses, and you can put one in a MacBook without the need for a dongle!

!

I also recently discovered a new product from Twelve South - the HoverBar Duo, which is essentially a stand/arm for your iPad or iPhone. The arm swivels at all sorts of angles and heights, you can easily use this to make your iPad at a good height for a little Sidecar action with your Mac or maybe for a video call. Anyway I thought it was neat and worth mentioning here.

!

And - while on the topic of Twelve South, the Air Snap case for the AirPod Pros so you can have them on your key chain (that’s what I do!) and you can easily charge your AirPods wirelessly or use the lightning connector hole underneath if you need.

!

Other purchases of late include a Rodecaster Pro, which I just love for doing video calls, recording live streams and other things, it just gives some nice audio flexibility.

And lastly the Nanoleaf Essentials light bulbs - they are really neat and work great with the new Thread standard in the HomePod mini. I’ve bought 4 so far and its now given me the home automation bug.

Ok enough from me.

2 Likes