New purchases thread!

Bought new linen bedsheets because i’m an adult :rofl:

4 Likes

Ordered new iPad Pro 11" and Logitech Combo case. Arriving in about a week. First iPad upgrade since my first, an iPad 4. Looking forward to the new toy and being able to use it as a second monitor for my MBP.

2 Likes

Debating between the 2020 iPad Air and the 2021 iPad mini. I’m still a bit old school, I’d like to see them in store before I decide.

4 Likes

It annoys me an unreasonable amount that they can’t get these products into some sort of cohesive sync. The iPad Mini 2 vs iPad was brilliant. Do you want the small one or the big one? Then choose your desired storage. No further thought required.

Now you have four options:
2021 iPad - A13 / 3GB RAM in 64GB or 256GB
2020 iPad Air - A14 / 4GB Ram in 64GB or 256GB
2021 iPad mini - A15 / 4GB RAM?? in 64GB or 256GB
2021 iPad Pro - M1 8/16GB RAM in 128/256/512GB or 1/2TB

I get the entry level being lower specced as an anchor to get people into the ecosystem at the lowest possible cost, even if it means sticking with older tech.
The middle tier of iPad Air/mini makes sense as the iPad you should be buying if you can afford the jump from the cheap one.
I even get the Pro being the premium offering with additional bells and whistles for those who want to pay that premium (bonus point if it lets you run OSX one day… but that’s a whole different thread).

But why oh why are Apple confusing the market with different specs in the Air and the mini? Those two should be in total lockstep rather than this limbo of the mini being newer, better and cheaper than the Air… but smaller. So if you want size and don’t want to compromise on speed you have to step up from the Air to the 30% more expensive Pro?

Bah. I do wonder if this is all carefully orchestrated or is just random noise.

2 Likes

It is confusing. Pundits suggest that the iPad Mini is best thought of as the iPad Air Mini. It is subject to a different upgrade cycle to the iPad Air (last updated this time last year). The iPad Air specs will likely leap frog the Mini specs next year.

How can Apple hope to make any money at all with such confusing marketing?

2 Likes

I bought a Sleeping Duck dog matress. It came with a. free dog.

4 Likes

The Air should definitely have been spec bumped at the same time as the Mini 6 was introduced.

The base iPad should have been A14.

1 Like

Currently in the process of purchasing my free copy of iOS 15 :slightly_smiling_face:

I recently acquired a 2018 3rd generation cellular 12.9” 512gb iPad Pro in space grey for about half the usual price. Absolutely stoked! The last iPad Pro I properly had was a 2015 model so this one is a huge upgrade for me. I’ve had iPad withdrawals for quite a while and since I got this one I’ve been using it quite a lot.

I had wanted to get the 2021 model, but I think this will definitely be more than enough for tide me over until I decide to eventually upgrade to something new

Edit: photo won’t upload but I’m sure you know what it looks like

3 Likes

It must be the weather - I just replaced my 9.7” iPad Pro with a new 11” iPad Pro with magic keyboard.

I’m incredibly happy with taking the leap. The screen size is perfect for me, and the colours on it are so rich it’s like the image is jumping off the page.

After trading my MacBook Pro for an M1 Mac Mini last year, it’s nice again to be able to do a number of work tasks with it out on the back deck.

3 Likes

Telstra Day again tomorrow (Thursday 7th). Full list of specials available from 1am.

Deals: August, September, October

https://www.telstra.com.au/deals/telstra-day

1 Like

First new car in 8 years. Wanted a ute for the island lifestyle with surfboards and the kids.

3 Likes

Nice ute!

1 Like

My mother needed a new tv, so I bought a Samsung 50" AU8000 4K UHD LED Smart TV for $966.

Had my first in-person look at the iPhone 13 and iPad mini, I liked them both. My iPhone XS will last another year at least, but I may grab the iPad mini. iPad OS is shocking though, specifically the size of the home screen icons, but it looked better with zoomed icons. But still, the home screen is still pathetic, I don’t know how Apple think that is acceptable.

2012 i5 Mac Mini for just under $200 delivered

It’s going to replace my MacBookPro5,5 (2009, 2.25ghz) that has been serving as a Netflix and Plex HTPC.

I’ll then look at reformatting the MBP and seeing if it’s actually still useful or not - it currently doesn’t know how to sleep, and has been getting slower and slower at everything.

A Siri Remote for my 2021 Apple TV 4K.

The new remote is such a compromise for those of us who actually liked the touch gestures, I’m glad to finally change back to what worked so much better for me

2 Likes

Telstra have had their Telstra Day for the past 3-4 months, usually the first Thursday of the month. This month it’s today for some reason, the first Friday of the month. NB: you can buy outright and go with another service provider.

Apple iPhone 12 Pro (128GB) - $1199 (Save $500)
Apple iPhone 12 Pro (256GB) - $1369 (Save $500)
Apple iPhone 12 Pro (512GB) - $1719 (Save $500)
Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max (128GB) - $1349 (Save $500)
Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max (256GB) - $1519 (Save $500)

2 Likes

Recently I heard about the Apple Battery Charger, I either didn’t know it existed or I forgot. Since I didn’t have a battery charger and meant to get one eventually, I figured why not get the Apple one? So I Decided to hunt one down.

Lucked out and got one boxed and all six batteries unused, with the charger still covered in it’s protective plastic wrap.

not sure what you did there with the jpeg.

I bought an Apple Battery Charger in the noughties and got great value from it, it’s still lying around somewhere.

1 Like

For some reason the last few times I’ve tried to upload a photo, it just doesn’t work. I’m not sure why.

Update: I’ve just tried again and it worked. Might’ve been the original was too large. Tried it again with a compressed version.