Recommend Me A Printer

Hi Everyone.

I’m after recommendations for a cheapish mono laser printer. I know lasers, like inkjets have dropped a lot in price over the years but I want to get something reliable. It won’t have a huge throughput.

The only brand of printer I’ll buy for home/small office use is Brother. Their drivers don’t suck.

Agreed, Brother are good.
Look at Officeworks, they have specific models for them and good prices.

+1 for Brother.

Laser printers are also cheaper to run in the long term if you can manage the larger upfront cost.
I have a Colour Laser Multifunction from Brother that’s been rock solid for the last three years.

I had a Brother mono laser until I retired… reliable, cheap to run and boring.

Now I’ve got a color inkjet which is less reliable, more expensive to run but not boring (color for the win) :sweat_smile:

I’m using a Brother MFC-L8690CDW here too, Colour Laser and it’s excellent. Mind you, I’m using after-market toner since it would cost more than the printer itself to buy a full set of Brother branded toner cartridges for it :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s probably overkill for what we need, but I got it for an excellent price and was returning a failed inkjet printer at the time so it really didn’t feel like much money at all. Three and half years on, it’s still going great.

I also do this. No issues at all.

Thanks guys. Just ordered a cheap printer from Officeworks. I presume, like with most printers these days, it’ll only have a starter toner with it. What brand of after market toners do you recommend?

I’ve been using www.inkstation.com.au for years and never had a problem.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks.

I’ve moved to them for toner as they were cheaper than my usual ink supplier who I have been using through their eBay store for a long long time: https://www.yyuda.com.au/

Just checked now and pricing is about the same (for my carts at least).

I got my Brother Mono about 2 odd years ago… only had to replace the toner a couple months back. Just paid the $70/odd from Big W for a genuine cartridge.

I picked up a Brother HL-L2305W from Officeworks yesterday for $159. Easy to set up. No drivers required - works with Apple Air Print. Print quality is really good too. Thanks for all you suggestions.

2 Likes

wished I’d bought a laser/Brother, we bought an Epson inkjet a few years ago which got a lot of use during the homeschooling phase (who knew we would still have to print so much!) but when this thing stops working I reckon a Brother laser looks like the way to go.

The Brother Laser printers just work. That’s the best recommendation I can give. No issues. And for a printer, that is a rare thing.

1 Like