School changing to Chromebook - bye bye kids

G’day,

For a fair few years now my kids’ primary school have used iPads from grade 3-6.

We’ve just received notification that from next year they are changing to Chromebook.

My oldest is already a PC kid… Can’t see the others growing up Apple/Mac with this new development.

Now what to do with the 2 new iPads in the cupboard…

Cheers

cosmic

That’s a pity. However, like I have said before, my daughter’s experiences with Windows Laptops at school turned her into a confirmed Mac head! She has more (current) Apple stuff than I do now!

BTY, how old are you iPads?

I’d also like to know.

The kids have a 5th and 6th Generation iPad.

Bugger, too old for me :frowning:

lol - Well, the plan was that the 2 younger kids get new iPads… then their current iPads go to our oldest son (who has broken 2 to date), and us parents… 4 iPads between 5 people… no spares, sorry.

The school is not forcing the older kids to change to ChromeB’s - just the 3/4 graders. (So the grade 5/6 kids don’t need to change to something new, that then wont be used in high school.)

As such the plan now is - the wife and I will start using 1 of the new iPads ourselves… give the other to the middle kid for Xmas so he can upgrade from his 6th gen… youngest will get a Chromebook for Xmas, and probably pass the 6th gen to him, and the oldest can have the 5th gen which he’ll probably break sooner or later. Don’t feel bad for him though, he’s getting a new laptop that better get him through Yr11, 12, and into Uni.

So - still no spares. :slight_smile:

As for being pushed to Mac by bad experiences on PC… at this point, the games on PC are too alluring… at least for the 15yo.

School holidays… working from home yesterday… 8 and 10 yo’s building lego… ask me to come look at what they’ve made.

It’s a shop, dad. Look, there’s a security camera at the front door, and inside there’s gaming PC’s.

Oh - no Macs?

No dad - it’s a gaming PC shop. They sell PCs, not Macs.

That’s a worry…

There’s been talk that Apple might reintroduce an entry-level MacBook (yet again), but for a line that they have introduced, retired, introduced again, retired again, I don’t know why they would continue to repeat history. If they were developing SafariOS to rival ChromeOS and making it purely browser/web-based, then perhaps that might compete with ChromeBooks.

Welcome to JB HiFi. Oh, you say you don’t know anything about Chromebooks but need one for your kid? Let me sell you something running Win11 instead.

Earlier this year I bought a Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 3 10IGL5, after telling the sales person I needed a cheap Chromebook. Santa delivered it the other day. I’ve just tried to set it up, but the documents from the primary school did not match what I was seeing on the device… Because it presented with a Windows login… not a Chrome login…

Check the box… OS: Windows 11 Home in S mode.

Googling… I see Lenovo first introduced this product as a Chromebook, but then offered it with Windows.

No idea if I can simply instal Chrome OS over top of Win11… or if this is going to require a swap at JB, and a really difficult conversation with an 8 year old about Santa’s workshop getting it wrong…

1 Like

I swear I thought I knew all the different versions of software builds Microsoft released… then another one jumps out and boom…

Meanwhile, Mac OS.

That’s it. One build for business, pros, students and grandparents.

So much simpler!

Yep. I’m pissed off… Told the sales guy I needed a Chromebook, and best as I can tell, he’s sold me a Windows machine instead, and apparently from what Googling I could find, the hardware is different, so it’s not a simple fix.

1 Like

I wonder if the sales people in some of these places really know what they’re doing. I don’t trust any of them.

1 Like

Called up JB this morning, and the lady seemed surprised the device came in a Windows variant. Took it in, and they’ve swapped it for the Chromebook version, albeit a newer $40 more expensive model.

Has a kind of cloth exterior that looks potentially more durable than the other one (ie hopefully give it some protection from drops) so will just track down a screen protector for it and hope for the best.

1 Like

I guess that’s not too bad…