Surprise! Yellow iPhone!

A wild iPhone appears!

Do these mid-cycle new colour releases sway people to make a purchase?

1 Like

I think it drives media to talk about it which means the supplier gets to be in the press even though they didn’t do anything.

A proportion of their user based won’t be aligned to day one purchased (although I do wonder just what percentage of Apple’s users are?!)

I can’t imagine anyone is updating their iPhone 14 just to get the new colour though.

For me, I want these colours to be available in the Pro range rather than the handful of pretty boring options we get. If anything I’m tempted to spend LESS to get the lower end phone in order to get a more funky colour, but ultimately I want the newer shinier tech the Pro models get.

2 Likes

In addition to the basically free publicity it’s a chance to move stocks of slow moving hardware before the inevitable price drop that will come with the release of the iPhone 15.

The vanila iPhone 14 hasn’t exactly set the sales world alight (it was so underwhelming I’m still using my vanila iPhone 12 and I’m their target market).

Expecting to update when the 15 comes out though.

1 Like

The iPhone 14 was a no go for me as soon as I heard it has the same A15 Bionic SoC as the iPhone 13.

1 Like

The whole iPhone family is just madness. It made sense when your choice was the new one at top tier prices and last year’s model was relegated to the ‘budget option’…

Then we got Plus Size with the iPhone 6 range which got bigger… and then the SE along side the 7 and 7 Plus but the SE was an iPhone 6 but at an iPhone 5 size??

Then the iPhone 8/Plus but also the Face ID iPhone X… then an XR, XS and XS Max… oh wait I’ve gone cross eyed.

Today from Apple you can buy, brand new, no less than eight different variants before you even consider colour and capacity.

• iPhone SE (64GB $719, 128GB $799. 256GB $969)
  • iPhone 12 (64GB $1,049, 128GB $1,129, 256GB $1,299)
  • iPhone 13 mini (128GB $1,049, 256GB $1,219, 512GB $1,569)
  • iPhone 13 (128GB $1,229, 256GB $1,399, 512GB $1,749)
  • iPhone 14 (128GB $1,399, 256GB $1,579, 512GB $1,899)
  • iPhone 14 Plus (128GB $1,579, 256GB $1,749, 512GB $2,099)
  • iPhone 14 Pro (128GB $1,749, 256GB $1,899, 512GB $2,249, 1TB $2,599)
  • iPhone 14 Pro Max (128GB $1,899, 256GB $2,099, 512GB $2,2419, 1TB $2,769)

I get that this provides lots of price points for people to choose from, but surely this is a nightmare to have to manage on the back end??

It’s almost impossible to recommend an iPhone to someone unless they are the most basic user and happy with TouchID where the base model SE is a good option… or don’t care about cost and get the latest model.

Past that?? Do you want old tech on the CPU or Camera? Do you care about battery life so much? Do you like colours?

Or should you just buy second hand?

1 Like

There would be a small subset of people who this probably does sway…

I’ve gone with second hand and at least 2-3 years old. Simply cannot afford the latest and greatest (not that I ever could, really). I’ll be getting mine from Ozmobiles for the forseeable future. I’ve had excellent deals from them. As for a yellow phone? Not on yer nellie.

I’m fully expecting Apple to use the A16 SoC from this years Pro series in the iPhone 15 (vanila edition) but given I’m using an iPhone 12 currently that’s still a 2 generation upgrade.

For me personally the net effect of Apple choosing to reuse SoC from the previous generation was simply to cause me to update after 3 years instead of after 2 years as previously.

Of course I’m not part of their ‘high value’ market demographic and more Pro sales is better for the bottom line than losing some ‘vanila’ iPhone sales; which is also the reason I suspect why they canned the Xr and have delayed the new SE so long (less profitable devices).

I might even update to a new SE, instead of a vanila 15 (single camera doesn’t bother me) as long as it’s got last years pro SoC, depending upon price and release dates (I was a happy Xr owner).

I too have an iPhone 12, however I have the Mini. I may upgrade to the 15, but only if there is some compelling new features. The speed of evolution in SoCs has slowed right down. I may just wait till the 16 or even the 17.

I have not been convinced to buy the Pro versions. The differences are not compelling enough to justify the higher cost.

Same here, with my iPhones & my Macs. I don’t need the absolute latest stuff. I’ll be looking to update my XR soon & my M1 Mac mini around the end of the year.

I’ll have to have a look at Ozmobiles.