Tech Bubble Burst?

G’day,

Apparently the tech bubble has finally burst, with 270,000 jobs shed from Google, Meta, Amazon, etc…

This apparently comes down to a number of factors, from higher interest rates drying up funding particularly for startups, and the lack of new innovation - mostly now it’s just revisions of existing tech, with the promise of new things like self driving cars moving very slowly.

What I found interesting… the article uses Apple’s spaceship image several times… and yet there is only ONE mention of Apple in the entire article, referencing the iPhone’s arrival. No mention of Apple being in crisis / shedding jobs etc.

(Not saying they are immune… just - why use that image if you aren’t then going to mention Apple - except for the fact it’s a now iconic symbol of Silicon Valley…)

I don’t imagine it’s the end of the world for us tech lovers… though, after watching WallE again for about the 100th time… I do wonder if tech is ultimately just going to make us more and more - well, lazy…

cheers

cosmic

1 Like

I think this sudden surge of Ai is going to make us lazy. Even Adobe has announced their Firefly now. I think Apple releasing their M1 & M2 macs might have shielded them somewhat from a tech bubble burst. These things are selling like hotcakes. Prices on old Intel macs are falling rapidly. I wonder how much this has actually affected Intel?

1 Like

When Apple went Silicone, and the figures were coming out saying how vastly better it was than the Intel chips of the time - I thought it may finally have a big impact on the whole Mac vs PC debate.

I have noticed that since COVID the sales figures for “computers” tends to show Apple as increasing in sales, and the Windows boxes declining… … … Yep - apparently that’s still continuing:

https://www.makeuseof.com/why-apple-is-dominating-pc-sales/

Maybe that halo effect of the iPhone is really now coming into the fore, some 15 years on. Apple dominates mobile phone market, and as people experience Apple… when it’s time to upgrade to a new computer - they go Apple?

Little wonder I guess that Apple feels justified in making their Macs so - not like a computer… and more like a big iPhone, with no user upgradeability…

I think that because Apple gear holds it’s value quite well & there is such a buoyant 2nd hand market, most people would rather sell their old Mac & buy a new one rather bother with upgrades (which can end up being more expensive).

The problem is, the gear holds up well because you can upgrade.

I bought a 2nd hand Mac Mini, and instantly put an SSD and more RAM in it.

That wont be an option going forward… and I do wonder how well the second hand market will go when you can no longer upgrade machines after purchase.

1 Like

Well the second hand market here is looking good For M1 Macs (on eBay anyway). You have to remember that the basic M1 Macs are overkill for most people. There are even a few Mac Studios on eBay now.

The push to make all devices DIY fixable may make devices more upgradable.

1 Like

The industry will exist but categories of tech will shift. New tech will come to light or continue development whereas other areas may stay stagnant or become commodity.
Tech will always exist and evolve.

But the industry definitely does need to work towards a more sustainable model. Some of the giants were hiring staff just to keep them off the market or avoid them going to competitors. Cheap money led to frivolous spending.

AI seems to be booming. Developments are huge at the moment. Will be interesting to see use cases appear and evolve. I am curious as to what other new tech we will see. Maybe we are on the threshold of a new era in the tech world. Like the giant shift from computing before broadband internet to what it is today. Time will tell. I am just glad to be along for the ride.

1 Like