Up time counting

Is anyone else keeping a running record on their Mac’s up time? Seems I can’t manage much past 2 weeks most of the time without the TCP/IP stack corrupting itself and as a result my Wifi drops out when I am at work/uni and wont connect again regardless… I wonder if that’s just a thing, or it’s something going on with my Mac?

I’m up for 13 days straight right at the moment. Just waiting for the error any time now “please move closer to the WIFI” that should be coming along… Realistically this should never happen on a Unix system but this seems to plague Macs I’ve owned. Deleting my Wifi settings from system preferences and from the keychain doesn’t resolve the issue, it always results in me having to do a hard reboot.

Why do you think one of the maxims of IT is “have you tried turning it off and on again”? I hardly reboot my machine as is, but weird stuff starts happening beyond a month or two (SystemUIServer randomly doesn’t respond, mostly). Sometimes I can fix it with a log out and back in, but other times a reboot is needed.

Current Mac uptime:

1 Like

You would generally understand that with the exception that a Mac runs ontop of a Unix kernel and so you’re a little less forgiving of unexplained hiccups given the Unix history. Sometimes as you say you can fix it but otherwise its a full reboot to get to the bottom of what is going on.

up 23 days, 1:27, 2 users, load averages: 2.61 16.96 15.28

I restart once a month (when the monthly internet plan rolls over) and when needed with updates. I don’t generally have problems otherwise.

1 Like

I have a number of servers that are up to hundreds of days. None of them use Wifi. I’m actually pretty sure it’s Apple’s Wifi stack not TCP/IP in general that is so bad these days.

1 Like

I remember back in my early Windows days when uptime was a bit of a badge of honour, my server could go months. These days it’s probably longer than it used to be with a laptop that isn’t rebooted (the Windows desktop is always shut down). The NAS and Gargoyle Router can go months and months and it’s pretty much only for updates they are ever rebooted.

My web server is at 120 days, my NAS is at 95 and the laptop is at 13 days.

I don’t use wi-fi on my Macs, so no data there, but up until I updated my two main machines to Yosemite, I basically never rebooted except for software updates. On a late 2012 i7 Mini and a 2008 Mac Pro I was regularly going 45-60 days or longer.

With Yosemite, I seem to have some issues with WindowServer and general crapness, so I’m having to reboot once a week or so on both machines.

I got into a habit with shutting my MacBook Air down instead of sleeping it most of the time because it wasn’t much slower to boot than waking from suspend - plus I mainly use my iPad, only reaching for laptop when I need to do something I can’t easily do on iOS, so it could be days between uses.
Until I updated to Sierra - take a bit longer to boot now. Plus if I shutdown then I have to type my password in like some kind of savage.

So yeah, anyway, uptime… my Mac mini stays up until it needs to be restarted for an update or similar - that can be days/weeks/months.

You and me both. My portable Macs get shut down usually as I use multiple displays at work and it just ensures my resolution is right. Also when it’s off it’s not draining the battery when traveling and I’m not worried on a plane about the wireless. My Mac mini is never shut down unless I’m forced to for an update or error.

I’m hitting 16 days now without any problems so far.