Apple AC wall plug adapter exchange program

A bit soon perhaps, but - has anyone tried resellers as opposed to an Apple Store?

There’s not a lot of choices here in Geelong…

I’ve got at least 2, but I suspect a few more. And indeed - it would be a pain in the ass if you did need to confirm serial numbers of the specific devices… but only really because - as above, I normally just keep using the same adapters when I get new devices, and leave the new adapters in the box… (And I’ve never liked the look of the “slim” adapter…)

I guess it’s possible that the components in these wear out overtime, hence why it hasn’t been a problem until now.

They just replace the bit with the prongs. They do not replace the electronics module.

I found six affected and five not affected.

Will visit the store later today and exchange.

This triggers memory lane a bit for me. Apple recalled my old ‘flying saucer’ or ‘yo yo’ power adapter for my trusty Wall Street PowerBook G3

This was before the days of Apple stores. What you did was register with Apple and it sent you a replacement power brick (boring generic black one) by courier with a return courier bag for the recalled adapter . I never sent mine back. I think Mmulhern has it now.

Back on topic, my recent MBA purchases have the new style duck heads, but I have about a dozen of the old style that I will replace by popping into Carindale Apple Store.

1 Like

Going to be a real pain to take all devices. I have 6 adapters needing replacement. I’m not even sure which belongs to which device because I tend to use one or two for everything. Actually, I think I’ll contact them first thing Monday and find out if the adapter is enough. Surely they aren’t going to ask for proof of anything. Having the adapter surely indicated you have a device that needs charging. On second thought, I’m just going to take my baggie full of adapters and let the cards fall where they may

1 Like

Addressing questions by @The_Hawk, @cosmichobo and @kyte

Apple’s wording on the matter has been somewhat vague. The official document released to the public requests a serial number, but at least in our case we are currently able to exchange them even if a serial number has not been provided. Apple may change this at some point in the future.

Both Apple Stores and Apple Authorised Service Providers are participating in the exchange program. We (AASP) are exchanging them over the counter, bring the old ones in, we confirm it’s an affected adapter and replace them on the spot. No appointment or reservation necessary. Some Apple Authorised Service Providers may use a different system or method of replacement so contact them beforehand to confirm, and the Apple Retail Store does recommend having a reservation beforehand.

To confirm, Apple is replacing only the AC wall adapter (or “duckhead”) piece, not the entire adapter. The included 1M AC cables are also not affected.

1 Like

Thanks iMic :slight_smile:

Just did my six at Chadstone. No need serial numbers. There was a queue of people exchanging. Took me 1 minute.

1 Like

[quote=“Entropy, post:26, topic:1805, full:true”]
This triggers memory lane a bit for me. Apple recalled my old ‘flying saucer’ or ‘yo yo’ power adapter for my trusty Wall Street PowerBook G3.[/quote]

Was too late for this recall… Had 3 yoyos at one point… 1 functional… 1 dead… 1 dodgy…

Oohhhh I heard they were getting one in the expansion… left qld before it was finished.

Doncaster has a table with trays of the replacements, I walked in with three bare duck heads and had them swapped over no questions asked.

I swapped 26 adaptors at the Apple Store in Miranda. It was very quick and easy. However, I also had the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit and so have a series of International Adaptors which also need to get replaced.

The Apple Store does not have any International adaptors and so recommended going online. The only problem is there does not seem to be anyway to request international adaptors online. I also can’t get onto Apple Support as I just get an error message stating my request could not be completed. Please try again.

1 Like

It’s not a competition but you win.

4 Likes

Is there anywhere in Melb CBD that’s doing it? Like Myer, or even Dick Smith?

I think you can go to http://mymac.com.au/ , I’ve got 5 to swap. But i’ll be doing them in 2 batches as I need to charge some stuff at home while i’m work!

Had previously booked a Genius Bar appt for the swap. Found out that wasn’t necessary, so I just went on down to Doncaster today… only to be told that they’ve run out of replacements!! Half an hour drive wasted, grr. Apparently you can order the replacements online and they’ll ship it out to you - https://selfsolve.apple.com/012016/#AUS but you have to chuck in the serial numbers. http://supportprofile.apple.com is very handy!

Wondering if these two posts are somehow related.

2 Likes

Miranda is in NSW and Doncaster is in VIC, so I hope they’re not related

I guess if I could have swapped my 26 in batches, but did not think of it really. Sorry to anyone in Miranda if you missed out.

I did manage to get my international adapters changed this morning, did a online chat this morning and they are going to send out the replacements to me. There was no need to provide a serial number. If you have a few to change and are not near an Apple Store, I would give the online chat a go as you may be able to bypass having to type in a serial number for each of your replacements.

It was a joke!