Apple Pay for American Express - Nov 19th

According to http://www.apple.com/au/apple-pay/ loyalty cards are coming.

I wish I could try out Apple Pay. Hopefully the banks get on board soon

Added it but haven’t used it yet. Most disappointed by the set up (although in a good way)… I was hoping to try out the add card with the camera thing but as it already had the card associated with my iTunes account all I rather boringly had to do was add the CCV number and then do the text message authentication thing.

I’ll have to look into how to use it though just to make sure I don’t look like a complete and utter pillock in the shop. But as I said before I don’t think I’ll be using this an awful lot once the novelty wears off, but we’ll see!

You know, Apple should just issue its own visa and MasterCard, direct from visa or MasterCard. Then it can enable Apple pay without the banks.

The monthly apple visa bill would then be automatically paid every month via iTunes by the bank owned credit card linked to the iTunes account. The user gets to select the payment date Apple collects each month from the bank Visa card ( and of course you choose the day after that card’s billing cycle cut off). From the user perspective, that means it could be almost two months before having to pay the cost of the item.

Apple would not have to worry about payments by the majority of users, and gets to go around Australian Banks’ intransigence.

1 Like

I can’t get my NAB Amex card to work. Just says issuer doesn’t support Apple Pay.

Weird…

Only directly Amex issued cards work. Bank partnered Amex cards do not work yet.

1 Like

Actually, I take it back. It is less of a faff to use than I thought, and much more convenient than I imagined. I’m particularly impressed by the instant push notifications of all transactions, not just Apple Pay ones. They have managed to Appleify a mundane thing and make it not only shiny but better. :smile:

However I’m noticing how many of the Tap & Pay pads are Visa & MasterCard only… :frowning:

1 Like

Bwauahaha

1 Like

i’ve not yet used but looking forward too it! I do like the notifications of charges against the card regardless of contactless payment or not.

I have been using Apple Pay on my watch everywhere I go, and I have to say it is super convenient. Just double push on the side button then scan.

The Apple Watch has become a lot more useful now.

If only other credit card companies are also on board in Oz…

Amex are spruiking a new card with no fee and a few benefits including smartphone screen insurance (in case you drop it while ApplePaying!)

1 Like

I’m going to do this.

1 Like

Got my Amex card today and set it up on my iPhone and Watch without any dramas. First attempt to use it was to pay for fuel at 7-Eleven, but, alas, their RFID readers don’t accept Amex. :unamused:

Yep signed up for this deal instead of waiting years for my bank to join. Applied on Saturday card turned up Wednesday hopefully try it out today.

1 Like

Oh what you need to start doing is asking every single retailer if you take Amex even if you know that don’t, and then let out a big passive aggressive sigh when they say no.

1 Like

It’s quite rare for people not to take it, although some want to charge a surcharge which is when I politely tell them to #$%$# off and pull out my Mastercard. My company has an Amex merchant facility and the fees are only slightly more than MC or Visa. If anyone tells you they’re paying 3.5% in fees they’re either lying or being ripped off!

It seems to be more common for people to take Amex but not with Tap & Go. Whichever bank it is that has those stand alone RFID readers is the worst offender. Normally if it’s one of the newer EFTPOS machines where you hold your card against the screen above the keypad it’ll take Amex.

Interesting.

Hey guys anyone know what the Apple Pay limit is? Is it the same $100 limit as paywave? I got my AMEX card today and set it up with ease.

I’ve spent more than that on Apple Pay. I don’t think there’s a limit as it’s more secure than regular paywave as it uses tokens so your actual card number isn’t transmitted. However if there is a limit it would probably just ask you for your PIN as well just like regular paywave does.