iPhone 6s/6s Plus Preorders

Yeah, but then you’re stuck on Android :scream:

It would be another $15/month for me to upgrade to a 6S Plus on Telstra. I’m already paying more than I want to ($92/month for only 2.5gb), so $107 for the same allowance is just way too much.

Yeah. I’ve got a few friends who are disappointed with the Telstra upgrade deal.

Telstra is more than terrible.

Looking at the business plans (because that’s where I am), I’ve highlighted the closest things to a common plan across the plan types. (I’m sure these were different a couple of days ago, but that’s by the by, this is today).

Just to be confusing the Telstra plans are all different across the offerings making it difficult to compare much of anything. It seems that the Medium BYO 24 month plan ($70 / month) is equivalent to the Large bundled phone plan ($100 / month) in terms of inclusions.

An outright 128GB iPhone 6S+ is $1,529

So in Telstra-ese the large plan is $100 + $36 handset payment which makes the phone $864 over 24 months.

But if you assume an outright purchase you can get the same level of service for $70 / month on BYO Phone. Which makes it $66 / month cheaper ($136 - $70 = $66). Now that ads up to $1,584 or MORE than the cost of the iPhone 6S+ 128GB outright.

It looks fractionally better with the iPhone 6S 64GB at $115 / Month on the Large plan vs $70 / month on BYO making the handset costs ($45 x 24) $1,080 vs $1,229 outright.

Yes you need the cash upfront (and selling off last years phone will get you about half way there) but it’s still a pile of cash upfront. With the Aussie dollar being where it is it’s much harder this year. My wife wants an upgrade from her 5S so I think I’m in for at least one 6S 64GB and as much as I like the idea, I don’t know that I can justify a new one for me… (famous last words before I do it anyway).

1 Like

Put like that, you would have to be insane to get your iPhone through Telstra.

2 Likes

I’ve always been a Telstra advocate with iPhone, but I recently put my mum on a cheap 5C plan with Optus, and the net works fine with them. It didn’t always used to be the case.

I’d be switching if I was on plan. I guess outside of metro is a different story.

It sure is - I’m in the middle of the Sunshine Coast and work at Officeworks in the largest shopping centre in the region. I’m in the copying area so help lots of people download an app to get their photos off their phones. Optus always takes around 3-4 minutes to download a 5mb app, whereas Telstra is instant. Just from that little sample I would never imagine going with Optus.

It definitely depends where you are. I’m on Optus and 90% of my use is around Sydney inner-west/CBD/north shore. It was a bit patchy last year, but I’ve found that service and speed has really improved in the last few months. I’m on their $50/month no-contract plan with 8GB data, it’s a pretty good deal.

Mrs a entropy becomes eligible for the Telstra trade in in October. Just doing the sums though doesn’t seem worth it. I guess I lot of people feel because they took on the option last year they have to. But it means she will end up paying more per month.

I still have the $60 deal I got with my iPhone 5. I considered buying a 6S outright and sticking with the old plan, but in actual fact I am better off by a couple of hundred dollars upgrading my plan. I need to be on Telstra as I spend a lot of time in Telstra only communities. But I think Mrs Entropy can keep her 6+ for another year, and then she could go to Optus.

I have per ordered the iPhone 6s 64gb in silver, I did think about the plus versions, but still can’t get over how ridiculous big phones look when people are talking on them. :smile:

Also on the Telstra no contract medium $50 a month deal with 5gb of data I think.

does anyone know if the iPhone reservations online to pick up in store are available for carrier sign ups?
do you have to pay for the iPhone prior to reserving it?

Both of mine are confirmed and shipping tomorrow as scheduled. :smiley:

I’m excited to get my new iPhone. Will be home all day waiting by the window.

I’m lined up. 29 min to go!

They keep bringing us food. Apples, cupcakes…

2 Likes

I hope the delivery guy comes soon. I don’t want to be sitting here waiting all day like the Apple Watch on launch day

2 Likes

Remember the 'iPhone 6S has no external regulatory markings, they’re all in software"? Yeah, not so much. See photo:

https://twitter.com/tcn33/status/647179113933836288/photo/1

Are they for our benefit? I can’t read hieroglyphics

No preorders arrived yet? Or too busy playing with your new shiny :joy:

My iPhone 6s -128GB Space Grey (purchased at the Apple Store in Miranda). Very easy pre-order process. There was no queue for pre-orders but a small queue of 20 people or so for walk-in orders. I was in and out of the store in about 5 minutes.

Setting it up now.

r

Looks like Monday for me :unamused: