MacOS Sierra

Outlook 2016 is still running poorly, beachballing every time I change message focus. It’s unusable at this point, and can only hope there’s an update to address this. Given it’s only Outlook impacted I’m thinking it’s not an issue with Sierra.

I moved away from all Office products years ago — and will not install any of them on my own machines (they are too much of a bag of hurt).

I use Mail on my work provided machine with their exchange sever, including events/calendar invites, etc. Works much better for me than having to look at Outlook and try to get it to do what i want…

Noticed mail plugins are missing from Mail in preferences. I’m pretty sure this was in El Capitan?

If I could get away from Office I would but its a practical necessity for most forms of work.

Just pulled my rMBP out of my bag and it was so hot I couldn’t touch it. Opened lid and running full fan full cores. Not sure yet if it’s a Sierra bug or a Plex bug.

Sierra has monged the timecode window in FCP X, otherwise I’ve not noticed any other dramas.
iDVD stills works. :slight_smile:
Siri works in a dopey kind of way, but it’s pretty neat to have an a Mac.

All up Sierra seems OK.

Al

Office update was pushed out today and seems to have fixed the problem. It still beachballs intermittently, but usually only for a brief moment every few hours, instead of every few seconds.

Official Mac Sierra launch… where art thou?

The Sierra launch is 20th September, US TIME. So try around 5am tomorrow morning.

1 Like

The Eagle has landed! :smiley:

If you use Citrix, install this: Receiver 12.9.1 for Mac - Citrix

I had to find this latest update to make Citrix work again on Sierra for work. My IT department told me off for upgrading on day one, and I replied by saying I resisted through betas and GMs so they shouldn’t complain!

1 Like

Tell off the IT department for not being prepared for day one updates! They’ve had plenty of time to test things.

No IT department worth their salt would sign off on a day 1 install. :smiley:

I sent an email to all my clients earlier today saying “hold off a bit on any business critical machine”. There’s no way to guarantee drivers for printers, etc. or even software like Filemaker Pro hasn’t got a 10.12 qualified version yet. Just not worth the risk of installing on day 1. Home users, sure. I’m an certified Mac tech and even I haven’t installed on my main Mac, only my laptop. :wink:

Oh, and if you have friends and families installing it, do yourself a favour and make sure you tell them NOT to enable iCloud Drive for Docs & Desktop! :smiley:

2 Likes

Disagree. My staff regularly support products day-one after robust testing in pre-prod. It’s not hard. It’s critical to be on top of it these days especially with BYOD. People are going to update their shit - especially Mac users. We can’t stop them, so our infrastructure has to be prepared for it.

1 Like

This is why I didn’t enable it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Its a bit hard especially if the IT department is small!

Sure, I guess an IT dept could support installs on day 1 if you have a very locked down set of things you support and which you can test against the beta.

For general users I stand by my advice that given 15 years of OSX and 11 previous major versions, the vast majority were pretty average until .1 or .2 updates. I have billed people many thousands of dollars over the years for workarounds needed after new bugs are introduced with major versions, only for the bugs to be fixed in .1 or .2 (and sometimes later - gmail on Mavericks or networking on Yosemite being prime examples).

So while it’s possible to support 10.12 today, if I have a say in whether someone upgrades today or not, I say why not let the rest of the world test the GM version for a few weeks and then we can install the .1 in a few weeks.

Out of curiosity - do your staff support users when their printer drivers or scanner drivers stop working at home? Does your network allow iCloud Drive access? Is it ready to handle the gigs and gigs of uploads or have you got firewalls good enough to limit that? Do you use policies to manage the byod machines? Is there a killer feature in 10.12 that your staff need today? Not trying to be combative with these questions - just generally interested in the scope you support. :slight_smile:

Heart over head wins though. You can say no no no don’t install and I fully understand your reasoning, but it’s new and it’s shiny! I’ll do a bit of research to make sure Office works as I rely on that, and take my chances on printer drivers etc, but I’ll wait until the weekend to do it and clone my drive so I can roll it back if it doesn’t play properly in the office on Monday.

1 Like

Totally. And given you know how to clone a drive your not my target audience for my advice. :wink:

1 Like