MacOS Sierra

dude, I know. The comments at the very bottom of the link I posted is about something completely different.

“Off topic, but have you noticed that in icon view Sort by Name now goes across then down? After 20+ years of using icon view it’s frustrating, and moreso because I can’t find a preference setting for this.”

and

“Yeah, I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to figure out how to get it back to the way it was. I’m lost now when looking at folders in icon view. If I do figure it out, I’ll post an article.”

Hi.
Could you elaborate more in the iCloud desktop and documents part?

Much appreciated,
Marcin

iCloud desktop is an optional tickbox in the iCloud system preferences it’s not on by default. Given I am a post-graduate students and I have literally hundreds of publications just sitting in my “resources” folder on my desktop I made sure it wasn’t on.

I haven’t had any issues yet. So far Sierra seems to save more space and run faster than Mavericks. I’m never usually an early updater but So far it’s better than El Capitan and on par with Mavericks at least so I don’t see why not. As is mostly the case with OS X I’m on a 2 step install, for every one good OS update with the yearly builds now, there is one bad one so I skipped straight to 10.12 and here I am.

Pretty much the only reason I’m keeping Mavericks there is for compatibility with older universal binary games such as SimCity 4 because I’m too cheap to buy the update they now want to charge you for, which is just a Wine game anyway… I don’t know why they can’t just fix the PPC fork with another update, because Sierra finally breaks it completely. But Aspyr as a company are about as useful as a bag full of old toenail clippings.

Damn Apple Jerks.

I finally got around to setting up two factor and trying to setup my watch to unlock my Mac… It’s a bit of a process but ended with me searching for info on why it refused to work since everywhere says 2013 or newer…

So it turns out all the guides are wrong and need to be updated to say you need a “Mid 2013 or better…” and here I am with this “Early 2013 MBP”…

Apple may (or may not) have updated the offical requirements but google seems to turn up every page but and plenty of forums with people talking about it :frowning:

In any case, seems I’m out of luck for the moment since there is no need to update this machine with my needs.

I’ve been noticing some funkiness on my retina MBP the last week or two since Sierra was installed. I often charge overnight so I can quickly pick up my Mac when I run out the door to work. I don’t get a chance to plug in again until mid-afternoon, usually.

Anyway I’ve noticed when I get to work and open the lid that the Mac has either locked up and needs a cold boot, or has already done that itself and I’ve got the dreaded “Your computer has recovered from a serious issue” or something along those lines.

So I’m holding out for 10.12.1 and hoping if it’s a Sierra issue they’ll squash it in the update rollup. Hopefully it’s not hardware related. Can’t see how it would be unless something spontaneously broke. I take super good care of my devices, so no drops/squashes/bumps/etc.

Did you clean install or upgrade? Mines been pretty good, better than El Cap, after a clean install.

I always clean install for major releases.

Me too! I did a double take earlier this week as I thought it was originally supported but I realise the watch unlock specs are more limited than just the sierra specs, which I think I missed.

It annoys me that I can’t find 10.11 on app store, in case I didn’t want to go all the way upto 10.12.

EDIT: I actually remember I had tagged 10.11 for download a while ago and is in my purchased history. Sweet.

I used to (and still do) keep all the IOS’s for each release I have bought over the years. I’d also keep all the combo update files too… but then I’m a hoarder from way back. The real problem is they are now time bombed so unless you change the system date the older install ISO’s (at least for El Cap and Sierra) won’t work… which is a real pain when you don’t know why it keeps telling you “there is something wrong” without any reason.

Seems they think everyone just has a super fast broadband connection on tap.

1 Like

Here’s a direct link to El Capitan, for those who’ve never downloaded it…

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?mt=12

1 Like

“The page you’re looking for can’t be found.”

Loads fine here.

1 Like

Yeah works fine on my Mac. I had clicked the link on a Windows PC at work, that didn’t work.