New purchases thread!

I forgot about this thread! I bought myself a GoPro Hero 8 with a super suit to go on my motorbike helmet from JB Hifi because they were under $500 (plus the super suit).

1 Like

Me too. I’m a glutton for buying discontinued camera gear, so an opportunity for getting a Nikon1 J5 refurb came up and I took it (I had wanted a J5 for a long time but wasnt prepared to pay full price). And now that I have it, I think I prefer the older Aptina sensor to the newer Sony one. Oh well, it will come in handy and its so tiny!!

1 Like

Love the vending machine. Every now and then I look into one of these. partly to help slow the kids down a little and partly because I think it would be very cool!

1 Like

They’re so hard to find but so very awesome

Out of date. I thought I was commenting on Kyte’s new kitty.

LOL! Yep, He’s been with me for nearly 4 years now :slight_smile:

I’ve still got the bike and the Jet Ski - finally got around to getting the NSW PWC permit to operate the thing. Waiting for the weather to warm up :wink:

I just bought this desk, kept appearing on my Facebook feed and i’ve been looking for something similar for ages.

Can’t wait for it to arrive. Having to WFH for the next 6-12 months, I need a proper desk to fit everything (2 laptops and 1 screen. And also snack, coffee, 3 phones, iPad, notebooks!!) and I live in a small apartment. The current set up is no longer viable, was okay for WFH once a week but need something better.

Nice desk! It looks as it it would be quite light, as well. I could live with that, bookmarking for future reference (need fridge and stove first)

Yeah I like their products (from photos). I will see how the desk holds up and i’m interested in some of the storage/shelves too! Would rather support local businesses than IKEA right now I think.

1 Like

Bit of an upgrade for my workstation PC.

1 Like

I went back to the same place i got the XS Max and got a Stainless series 2 44mm Apple watch. had to send it into apple’s service centre to get updated to current software (so it would pair) but im impressed that apple did it for no charge.

@DogKnight: I’m saving up for one of these at present. hope I can buy one before they’re discontinued. $1500+ is a lot for a CPU, it better be awesome. i’ve got the rest of the system waiting for it.

aside from SSDs, and tubing, fittings and probably going to need a new pump/res combo.

It’s a solid CPU. I already had a full X299 system so was an easy upgrade path. Just grabbed the CPU and a couple extra sticks of RAM so I can run quad channel memory.
I am running it under a 280mm AIO so limited how far I can OC it. Using Intels Performance Maximiser it has clocked itself at 3.9ghz all core. That’s including AVX workloads. Can probably push further with manual tweaking but haven’t had the time yet.
Obviously having the large core count is great for things like virtualisation which is some of my workload.
It’s not the fastest chip around (an AMD 3950x will still beat it in some areas), but it is still damn quick and I didn’t want to build a new PC to switch platforms. Plus the benefits of memory channels, PCIE lanes, etc. Will last me years to come.

1 Like

Awesome. I just requested a quote for a bioinformatics machine and asked for this CPU to be included to power an RTX 3080.
I’ve been using Apple hardware since 2003 so trying to build machines is foreign. I’m clueless when it comes to cases and motherboards now, but slowly learning what is required.

1 Like

Feel free to ask any questions you have about parts and configurations. Been building PCs for years as it’s kind of a hobby. Do it semi regularly for mates.
Managed to get it for $1600 delivered from a Sydney retailer (I’m in Melbourne). Ordered 2pm one day and was at my door 8:30am the next day.

1 Like

Not so much full new purchases, but I bought about $300 worth of parts (batteries, speakers, SSDs, RAM, case covers, clips, etc) to fix all the broken MacBooks people are giving me. I have at least three waiting to be picked up. These are now the six working. Including of course my main MacBook Pro, which was sold to me by @jaysee, and has been a good workhorse. The battery has started to expand though, no service warning and still has 77% charge, but I’m probably going to take it in for a battery replacement next month.

I’m starting to give them away or ask only for cost of parts/labor to those in need, though no one has yet claimed any of them (in part because I don’t think I move in the right circles, and I need to advertise wider).

2 Likes

My new iPad arrived today :slight_smile:

3 Likes

New Donation, nearly flawless 2010 MacBook. Had an expanded battery. New battery ordered. Running Mojave on a Samsung 850 Evo SSD.

3 Likes

New purchase, most expensive one in my life… Apartment :rofl:

4 Likes

Welcome to owning a home! It’s a great feeling when you arrive at home and think “this is mine!”

3 Likes