Poll: what size iPhone are you getting?

• iPhone 6 (4.7-inch display)
  • iPhone 6 Plus (5.5-inch display)
  • Why didn’t Apple make a smaller version?

Don’t really care about capacity (we already have a thread for that), I just wanted to know which one you’ll be picking up given the size considerations (i.e. the 5.5-inch iPhone is huge for a lot of people, but then again a lot of people will get it because it has a bigger battery).

I was on the fence, given the OIS in the larger and EPIC battery life of the larger, but what brought me back to reality and the smaller of the two was software scaling and the sheer fact that 5.5-inches is uncomfortably large to use and fit in pockets, etc.

So I’ll be going a regular ol’ iPhone 6. What about you?

Definitely 5.5" because I use my phone fairly constantly, and it will ensure that I won’t need to buy an iPad again. There’s too many pros than cons for me.

The iPhone 5 is big enough for me. I want to see the 6 in the flesh before definitely saying I’ll get one, but I’m pretty sure I won’t be getting a 6+. Remember those rumours of an iPhone Mini a few years ago? I’m still waiting for one of those!

Personally I find it fairly amusing the trend was for smaller and smaller phones before smartphones were a thing. Now we’re getting bigger and bigger screens and it’s like, cool, OK, the bigger the better.

My theory on that is that in the days that we focused on smaller phones, the screen was not as much of a focus as it is now, and that these days we are focusing on bigger and better screens

We made some life-size cardboard cutouts in the office and most people are going 4.7". Not me, 6 Plus all the way.

1 Like

I voted for the 4.7" in terms of thinking of it as a phone only, but if it could be large enough to be an iPad replacement I’d consider the 5.5". I’d have to hold it and see how it sits in my trousers before making that decision.

Bennyling what is it about software scaling that tips you away from the 6 Plus?

Potential performance issues. I know this is Apple and they’ll probably have tested for that kind of thing, but this is the first time they’ve done scaling on the iOS platform, and that makes me nervous.

Plus the fact that it’s 150% more pixels with only a 25% increase in GPU performance, if I remember the numbers from the keynote correctly.

It was a 25% in CPU performance, 50% in GPU performance.

1 Like

I’ve only had a 5S for four months but it cost me nothing so I relented and ordered a 6. I wonder how many people have done some arts and crafts in the last few days printing out those template and making their own dummy iPhones, I kind of like the thought of that. Anyway the plus just seems way too big, plus it won’t fit in my arm pocket thing I use for running but the 6 will. so 128GB 6, finally the capacity I’ve wanted for SO long.

I’m getting the 6+ – I don’t want a bigger phone, really, but the battery life is too good to refuse.

My first thought has been to get the larger one, as my Mini is too large to carry around, more so than I thought given I have an 11" Air for just about everything that requires a larger screen. If it does end up looking like it will be too big for the pockets of various jackets and whatnot, then I’ll get a 4.7 I reckon.

The “iPhone Mini” was the Apple Watch, by the way.

The iPhone 5 is big enough for me so if anything it’ll be the 4.7" iPhone 6.

I highly doubt that the 6 plus would even fit in many of the pants that I wear let alone comfortably in my hand.

1 Like

I’m 6’5" with Hagrid sized hands. I’ve been waiting for the iPhone 6+ for years!

1 Like

I think a lot of people will be in the same boat. They won’t necessarily want a larger phone, but the positives of great battery life will outweigh the negatives of not being able to fit it in your pocket :smile:

Hmmmm I want the 6 Plus because I like the bigger screen. I can hold the iPad mini in one hand comfortably in portrait so I thivk I’ll be fine with the size of the 6 Plus.

What I’m worried about is pocket sizes in jackets/pants - like others have said.

My eyesight is not great too so being able to have things a bit bigger on a larger screen is a real plus.

But I have to wait 3-4 weeks for it! :frowning:

When I look at the pictures of the new iPhones, the home screens clearly fit a 6th row of icons but are still only 4 across - you’d think they’d increase that given the larger screens.

If this helps at all, I bought an iPhone 6 Plus gel case from ebay, and it fits in my jeans very well, you can only just see it outside of the pocket and just to one side

If helps, both iPhones have Display Zoom (about halfway down the page):

Now there are more ways to see your display. Standard view lets you see more of your apps. Or activate Display Zoom to see them — and all your content — even bigger.

Not going to use that feature myself, I think that the extra real estate is awesome. Though I can definitely see the benefit for anyone with less than perfect eyesight