The new Apple TV

Hopefully Plex arrives soon.

I am out tonight so don’t have time to play with the ATV4, but with any luck by the time I set it up tomorrow there will be a shiny new Plex app available.

I might try out the SimpleX app anyway and see what different functionality it provides, but I can’t see it being better than the native Plex app.

Has anybody’s courier arrived yet? No sign of mine … :frowning:

Just get to an Apple Store and buy it direct, and then cancel your online order.

That’s what I did. If I was waiting for the courier, it would not be arriving until next week.

Speak of the devil - it just arrived! :smiley:

I can wait :slight_smile:

Went back and got it after reading a tweet. Yay!

1 Like

Well one curiousity seems to be universal/siri search. It searches the local Netflix when its doing searches. Which is causing me issues as I have a US Netflix account (as it has more stuff).

Turns out the solution is to set my iTunes store account is a US one. Which won’t be ideal, especially if that in turn means search won’t search local services. As it is it means all the content attached to my local iTunes account is invisible from search. So us folks who use services from multiple regions are kind of screwed when it comes to universal search.

Something is a bit odd with my ATV. Setup does not seem to be working properly.

I have setup the ATV and it’s on my network, but the Remote App on my iPhone can’t see the ATV. Also Home Sharing seems to be only partly working. Home Sharing can see some of my music (but not all of it). It can’t see my Playlists or any of my recently added music.

Also tried playing a multi player game of Crossy Road, and my iPhone can’t see the ATV in order to play.

Will have to investigate when I have more time, but not sure what is wrong as it should be a simple setup process.

EDIT: Got Home Share working now, but my iPhone Remote App will still not work with the ATV4.

Edit: ignore this. Yeah seems it only searches Netflix Australia unless region is set to US and US Siri can’t understand us.

@bennyling do you remember how I instructed you to get the remote app working that time? I’ve completely forgotten and I can’t see ATV with the remote app either.

The new ATV remote seems to be doing funny things to my current setup,for example pressing the menu button changes inputs on the tv… so there is a bit of cross talk happening between the ATV remote and my samsung blu ray player… any suggestions on what to do much appreciated :slight_smile:

Yes… also can’t see the ATV on the remote app.

I found this helpful site re: siri remote.

It seems the new remote used HDMI - CEC so if your unit uses this you can now use the new ATV remote to control it as well. Yet to set it up but looks promising!

I think I read in the reviews that the remote app doesn’t work with it yet?

Mine rocked up just as I got home. Very painless set up… Just lucky I still have my iphone though! Typing stuff in would have been painful.

It was. A real shame the control does not have a thumbprint reader.

You mean for iTunes? That involved forgetting all remotes in the iTunes app, then restarting devices, then trying to set it all up again… Think it just started working after some (or all) of those steps though.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this suggestion - I tried it today and it actually worked. This saved me heaps of time and hassle as there’s rarely anyone home when TNT delivers which usually means waiting for the ‘failed to deliver’ message, then calling TNT, then taking time out of work to drive out to their depot to collect.

Brilliant solution!

1 Like

I was in Chermside at lunch but they were still waiting for stock to arrive. I’ll be heading in the morning to pick one up. Is Stan available on the new ATV??

Yep it is.

I’m also loving that universal apps include the ATV. I’ve been able to download some great games that I’ve bought on my iPhone. I’ve really only become a gamer this past year and loving it.

1 Like

Missed my delivery again today despite people being home - at least the TNT depot is nearby (a newsagency) so easy to pick up tomorrow morning.