The new Apple TV

Just read this thing has HDMI-CEC so I went looking. Mine’s an LG TV and it’s called SimpLink on there so I turned that on. Now when I turn on my ATV, the telly also turns on. I’ve also set it to control the volume on my AV receiver. When I put the ATV to sleep it turns my TV off too.

Shame I have to keep my AV receiver on all the time though. I bet if it was a HDMI receiver it’d turn on and off itself too.

95% of my viewing is on ATV so with the need to use the siri remote this makes life very simple.

So keen to try CEC. Really hope my TV and amp supports it.

Me too but I think my teev is way too old. Its a lovely Samsung FHD 100Hz but its OLD.

Oh, thanks to someone on twitter: Play/pause changes caps when doing passwords, in case it hadn’t been mentioned…

Can you do the universal search without SIRI?

I have family members who use an Apple TV but hate Siri, so can you just enter text?

Has anyone here got the two player Crossy Road to work? I try it, but my iPhone just gets stuck on ‘searching’

1 Like

I tried out the new Apple TV at the Adelaide store this morning. I found navigating with the remote felt a little clunky. I think its difficult to work out which icon is active. As a guy who plays zero games and have never owned a gaming console I figure I can wait until there are a few more useful apps on the app store. If there was an iView app I’d buy one now. Right now my ATV 3 does all I actually use it for. I’m holding off buying this ATV 4 for a few months.

Picked up a 32Gb AppleTV this morning from Chermside. They had plenty of stock in both 32Gb and 64Gg models. Plenty of Steelseries controllers too if that’s your thing.

CEC control is incredible! I have a Panasonic TV and a Samsung sound bar that both support it (didn’t realise they could’ve been controlling each other all this time). I’ve now ditched my Harmony remote, Apple TV is switching my TV and sound bar on/off and controlling sound bar volume, and now that everything is HDMI linked my TV is also switching the sound bar on/off and controlling the volume as well. Awesome!

Navigation is not the best, and it is very difficult to see what is active!

I ended up purchasing an App I did not intend to as the Buy option was highlighted and I clicked the trackpad. There was no confirmation screen or anything, it just went straight to downloading (although I did have the option to not require a password set to on), but I thought at least there would be a confirmation screen.

2 Likes

I’m really digging it too. Able to control TV via the control is cool. I like the swiping. And the new interface. Once set up it’s easy to use. And is it me or is the image quality better?

I was thinks the same thing about image quality. It does seem better (but it’s probably our imagination), unless they are doing some sort of up scaling, but I would have thought that the reviews (and Apple) would have pointed that out if is was happening.

Been reading up about Remote.app not working. Does the Remote app on the Watch work with it?

Well sure, but it isnt the gaming focus issue. The cost of building an Xbox one would be one heck of a lot more than something that is a SOC already used in hundreds of millions of iPhones, iPads and iPods hooked up to a hdmi port.

Oh! You can side load apps like this Nintendo and Sega emulator!

3 Likes

Livestream app is out now too! This is what you want folks if you’re into NRL. With Getflix you can watch the official NRL broadcast they use for overseas. You don’t need Foxtel to watch the games with this.

I’m also finding it interesting that HBO Nordic is showing on the Australian store. Could it be a hint that the standalone subscription HBO service is nearly here?

Unfortunately Apple have confirmed the remote app for iPhone $ the watch are not compatible with the new AppleTV.

I hope they fix it soon!!

Does the Tenplay app work for anyone? I can launch it, but it refuses to play content. It’s no great loss, just odd behaviour.

Don’t know if anyone’s noticed, but you can shift your preferred apps up into the bar where the iTunes Movies/TV apps are by default. It means that you get Netflix suggestions or your own music (if you use Home Sharing) in the banner at the top of the screen. I found it by accident!

1 Like

This is the understatement of the decade.