The new Apple TV

And Apple could have made that compatible with the Apple TV 4 had they worked with Netflix.

The content is emerging - slowly but surely. There is 4K content on youtube, Vimeo etc. Not to mention that the 6S records in 4K.

At the end of the day its not like adding 4K support would have at all made the experience any worse for anyone, it just would have made the thing a lot more attractive for many. If you’ve got a 4K TV, you’re now between a rock and a hard place as we all know Apple will add 4K support with the next one, so theres no point buying one to have it superseded within two years resolution wise.

Lack of adoption/content etc has rarely been an issue with other Apple products - Thunderbolt/USB-C/USB in 1998 all spring to mind. Apple could have been the ones to help push 4K further into adoption.

This graphic seems to indicate Plex will have it ready and it’s up to Apple to approve it. This is new since three weeks ago (the most recent version captured by archive.org).

1 Like

Interestingly, no gigabit ethernet in this day and age. I wonder why. Presumably the assumption is that it would be away from a router next to the TV so wifi would be used.

Leaving aside current lack of commercially produced 4K content, 4K capable consumer video cameras are readly available including an iPhone. So you can record your own 4K video ,then edit it on yor mac with iMovie or FCPX, but if you want to watch your masterpiece on your 4KTV you have to physically connect the your mac to it?

1 Like

Any idea when its going to be released?

Monday apparently.

No sign of Australian pricing yet is there.

Nope. But there is this:

2 Likes

Ooooooh! If Plex is already in… so am I. The only decision is …32 or 64?

This is what I can’t decide either, @kyte. It’ll depend on how big the apps are, which is something we just don’t know yet. What are you thinking?

I’m not sure why Apple made the decision to offer two different storage tiers, especially when they haven’t said what the storage will actually be used for.

Get the largest available size I would think. Especially if you want to keep it for longer as apps and media tend to grow over time.

I will be getting the 64GB version. I guess time will tell if that version is too large. In the end I would rather spend a bit extra and not need the space than run out of space and regret my initial decision.

I disagree. The TV has very good app thinning capabilities.

Likewise, any content generated by an app has to be saved in iCloud and redownloadable again.

Im not concerned about app size at all. What concerns me is the lack of explanation from Apple as to why you’d need a 64gb unit. It’s all a bit up in arms still atm.

It annoys me that it doesn’t have an Optical Out. The main thing we use our current ATV for is streaming music, it’s connected to our amp via Optical. We rarely use it for Actual TV. That could change with the new ATV and it’s appstore, but without Optical we would need to keep the ATV3 anyway.

2 Likes

The main thing I hope for is being able to download movies and tv shows for offline viewing, for example if I am planning on doing a binge of 30 Rock, I can set it to download in the morning, and its ready by the time I get home. Especially great if you have crappy internet like me.

Do you have the audio going to a different output from your TV so you can listen when the tv is off? You can get HDMI optical extractor boxes - so maybe that’s an option? :slight_smile:

I actually use the Optical Out on my Apple TV out as well. That HDMI Audio Extractor would do what I want it to do, but at $60 I might as well keep my old Apple TV around.

I might hunt around and see if I can find a cheap version of this.

What I really want is this http://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/quality-5-port-hdmi-switch-with-remote.html but with an optical out as well.

Finally getting around to watching the keynote (I know I know). I’m converted. Shut up and take my money.