The new Apple TV

I’ve held off selling an ATV2 even when they were worth a bomb to get this so will be getting the bigger one no matter what it costs.

Guys, I’ll be getting it too but it’ll be a scene like Whoopi handing over a cheque to those nuns in Ghost. I might have to settle for the lowest storage tier though.

Presumably we can keep the ATV3 for a second TV? They are not going to make that redundant immediately… I wonder about the interchangeability of the remotes.

ATV 3 will probably be the ultra cheap model I’d imagine.

I really want one but I’m not desperate for one and the economy is making me nervous atm, more important to have a bit of cash behind me in case I find myself on my arse unexpectedly.

Hopefully they take advantage of the physical storage and cache it while you watch, similar to how the PS4 does to your gaming

hmm at $279(if it is that much), the ATV 3 looks great, considering the ATV 4 doesn’t have 4K which was probably the thing I wanted more than anything else.

I do wish they’d update the ATV 3 with the new interface and possibly the universal search and Apple Music.

Reading between the lines on the compare page that’s just not going to happen. I know, I know, everyone keeps harping on about it being the exchange rate’s fault not Apple’s fault but they’re asking a hefty premium for Siri and an App Store, even in US dollars.

I would hope Apple relaxes their “must use Apple remote” requirement for game controls so that developers can make some truly console worthy games for it. Sure, it might not take on PS4 or XB1 but I for one love playing reboots of the games I grew up playing, and iOS has a tonne of those.

It’s a much easier pill to swallow knowing it’s another game console to add to the collection. At least for me anyway.

I don’t know… it would be a bit silly to be selling the Apple TV 3 that couldn’t access Apple Music… and surely they’ll at least update the interface if nothing else?

It is very expensive for the new one :confused:

I agree but it says the old ATV gets iTunes Music and iTunes Radio and the new one gets Apple Music. It’d be nice if they did at least skin the existing one, but I wonder if they’ll even do that…wouldn’t it depend on how integrated Siri is into tvOS because the existing one doesn’t get that.

Could just be that Apple haven’t pushed the update yet so it hasn’t updated its table.

By skin I mean keep the existing functionality but with the new icons and interface elements etc :slight_smile:

I think the reason they are making it so it has to work with the Siri Remote is so that people won’t be browsing the app store going “Oh, can’t download that because I only have a Siri Remote, can’t download that either, or that, or that.”

To be honest, as much as it might be a pain point for developers, I think they made the right choice.

I see they have announced pre orders available 26 October for the new Apple TV, unsure yet if this includes Australia, but if so I will be definitely ordering,with our dollar would expect pricing to start at around $229.
9to5 Mac

I’m waiting for the AppleTV 5 for 4K support I guess :frowning: No point blowing $229 or more on something thats already missing 4K support, then needing to buy another one in 2 years or so.

Shame really, the new features and interface is great!

4K is not an issue for me as my TV’s are reasonably new and not 4K and won’t be replacing them for at least a few years. My jailbroken ATV2’s are just hanging in there an will be glad to get off the jailbroken route.
Content wise there isn’t that much 4K out there. Gee it was only this year that free to air broadcast the AFL grand final in HD.

Still, would have been good for future proofing. Netflix now offers a slowly expanding range of UHD content. 4K TVs are coming down in price, Aldi had one really cheap the other day, so for those who have a 4K TV, it would have been great so we don’t have to wait another 2/3 years for Apple to get its act together :confused:

But by that time we’ll actually have the broadband infrastructure to streaming 4K video… unless waiting a couple of days for your movie to download is something you enjoy doing.

What 4K stuff are you watching, oldmacs?

Apple use TNT don’t they so if I preordered this I couldn’t get it delivered to one, right?

[quote=“Oldmacs, post:76, topic:848”]
Netflix now offers a slowly expanding range of UHD content.[/quote]

Netflix offers UHD content that you can only play back on compatible TVs. Their support page says you’ll also need a internet connection speed of 25mbits or higher, which basically limits it to those streaming over mobile networks or cable/fibre.

4K TVs can be as cheap as they like, but if there’s no content for it, it doesn’t matter.

Not always. I accidentally ordered 3 Watches (long story) and 2 got delivered on the same day. One from TNT and one from StarTrack.

Well I’m going to be getting at least 1 of the new Apple TV’s.

If the Plex App was ready at launch, it would be a no brainer for me to buy two or even three to replace my Apple TV 2’s.