The new Apple TV

We have truly been spoiled by the $109 pricing for the old Apple TV. Ahh, those were the days — but now we return to the bad old days of $2000 laptops and “overpriced” warranties and accessories.

It’s already been pointed out countless times in my timeline that you can buy a PS4 or Xbox One for only about $30 more than the 64GB one. I reckon on a per kilo basis that’s better value :wink:

I’ll get one if/when they go on sale, but I definitely don’t need it.

Wow, I didn’t realise we’re one of the eight countries that get the Siri remote. Most countries just get the plain old Apple remote.

Edit: this is according to http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/09/09/apple-tv-siri-remote-availability/ but I checked a few other countries and they have it too. So probably false alarm :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit2: no, I was right the first time. Check out http://www.apple.com/nz/tv/ - there’s no mention of using Siri to control it. They get the same remote but there’s no Siri (at launch, anyway).

Well I preordered a 32gb one despite my massive reservations around Apples pushing of siri and universal search. Those are features I really want, I just have no faith in Apple delivering given how terribly siri works for me on other devices.

But I can’t resist trying out new tv devices in my quest for the perfect one.

If I’m honest if app support with local services was better I’d probably just upgrade my Nexus Player AndroidTV box to the much fancier 4k supporting ShieldTV one.

Bit unfortunate it seems like people have a choice between a box with I guess better dev support for apps and one with better hardware support for high quality media / better quality voice search.

1 Like

Just ordered 5 of the 32gb ones (4 for clients, one for me).

Can’t wait for Plex client on TV. :slight_smile:

I’ve decided against the new Apple TV, I just don’t use video streaming enough to justify the extra cost so I’ve ordered a Telstra branded Roku 2 for $109.

To be honest I was expecting the price to be a bit lower even with the low AU$. ie the difference to reflect the actual difference in the 2 currencies plus a small premium for GST instead of being as high as it is.

I’ll admit I thought maybe $229 for 32gb. I guess Apple expects the dollar to keep sliding.

I’ve got a $100 westfield gift card so I might use it towards a 32gb model from the apple store when it’s put on the shelves. By then the reviews will be in anyway and we’ll know for certain if 32gb is sufficient.

I might have had a Telstra TV for the last month. It has it’s pluses and minuses. Yes, you can get Plex running on it (not officially) though I don’t actually use Plex at all myself, so I’m not sure how good or bad an experience it is. Netflix etc all run fine on it, the remote is quite nice (certainly better than the old Apple TV remote). It has a media player software built in and because it has a USB port you can just play stuff off that (mp4/mkv, but not AVI for some reason).

It has Netflix and Presto. The Netflix interface is very similar to the Apple TV, Presto interface is a bit crappy but it does the job. Stan is coming, but not for a little while. The biggest thing it is missing is iview. If it gets iview, it will sell like hotcakes I reckon (though obviously the new ATV will probably get iview at some point with any luck, but, price.)

Of course you need to be a Telstra Broadband customer for it to work at all, so obviously that cuts down the audience quite a bit.

1 Like

Telstra claim that iVew and Tenplay are coming (although we are talking about Telstra in saying that). Mainly it would be used for Netflix or movie rentals and our old ATV2 can stay on HDMI port 1 for Apple specific content.

And yes I’m a Telstra Broadband customer (I was Internode, then I was iiNet then TPG bought out iiNet and then I wasn’t iiNet anymore).

If we start streaming more content (say if the NBN arrives here starting in Q1 2016 like the schedule says) then I’ll revisit the ATV4.

My question is whether the hardware is different (as was originally reported on the various news sites) or whether its just that Siri only becomes available when u log into the AU/UK/US Apple Store. I live in Singapore but ordered from Australia so I could get Siri, but I suspect its just a software thing.

Seems pretty unlikely it’s a hardware difference. Why do that when you can just lock it out in software?

Free shipping for delivery November 2-4, $17 for delivery on Friday.

What? Really? Nothing like that in AU. A shitty precedent to set though.

Though if I’m honest I’d pay extra to make sure I got it before the weekend.

And really its not unheard of to pay extra to have items shipped faster.

There’s a precedent for Apple express shipping stuff (at least in the US), didn’t they partner with someone for the recent iPhone launch to provide express shipping? Or it might have been before the iPhone launch…

Paying for different speeds of delivery is one thing, but it’s the first time I’ve heard of Apple saying “delivery is free, unless you want it on launch day”.

True. Paying for faster delivery is one thing, paying to move up a queue so you get one of the first items is another.

Good article on App Thinning and how tvOS manages storage.

I was set to get the 64GB version, but after the big price drops with PS4s last week, this does seem pretty overpriced.

I can’t believe how pricey the 64gb model is. It is $199 US yet its $349 AUD here?

1 Like