What kind of wallet do you have?

After using Dynomighty Design wallets for about 5-6 years, I’m looking for something new.

The only problem is, I’m not really sure what kind of wallet I want. I’ve heard great things about Bellroy wallets, but I’ve never had a leather wallet before and aren’t sure if I’ll like the look and feel of it compared to the Tyvek (kind of like paper, the same non-rip stuff used in many postal packages) wallets I’ve been using.

On the one hand, leather wallets probably wear better than Tyvek-based ones, but they’re not nearly as unique, you know? I almost always get comments about my current one, based on a map of the NYC subway.

To give you an idea of what I’m looking for, I value thinness above all else. I don’t carry coins, prefer flat bills (as opposed to folded), find money clips kind of weird, and carry around 6-7 cards on a daily basis.

At the moment I’m learning towards a Bellroy like the Slim Sleeve, Note Sleeve, or Hide and Seek. The Hide and Seek is probably the more “traditional” wallet, but the Slim and Note sleeve don’t look like bad options either (both are very similar and mostly different in flat vs folded bills).

Alternatively, I can go back to a Mighty Wallet or pick up another Tyvek-alternative like the Slimfold, which looks kinda nice.

So, hit me. What kind of wallet do you have, and what do you think of it?

I am using the Bellroy Card Sleeve. I carry about 6 cards, cash is a bit of a challenge with the folded bills but I really like it now that I have become used to it.

One of these, cos I’m a grownup! :smiley:

1 Like

I have a crappy leather one I picked up from Myer some time ago, but I’m thinking of trying abrAsus’ Evernote Wallet next time.

I own the Bellroy Slim Sleeve wallet and its been really good. If I had to pick a fault with it it would be that leather stretches, so if you put half a dozen cards in it then it’s going to stretch and there’s no going back if you then wanted to carry, say, two in future. Very well designed and manufactured though.

1 Like

Oh man, I saw an Avengers (or Iron Man, one of the two) Mighty Wallet at PAX last year. Kicking myself I didn’t grab it :frowning:

Eww, tri-fold.

Folds are like boobs. Two is good, three is better.

No wait, scratch that mental image. Lets not talk about folds.

3 Likes

I have Printer Paper Wow Wallet™ that my sister gave me for Christmas 2012.
It’s getting a bit worn, but I really like it.

I’ve tried working out what the Binary translates as, but I haven’t been successful so far.

I got one of these from their Kickstarter campaign: http://www.madera.com.au/

It’s pretty cool and definitely unique!

Yeah, that was my original Mighty Wallet. I liked it, if only because I discovered I didn’t like tri-fold wallets :smile:

Card sleeves have always seemed a little weird to me, even though they’re about as slim as it gets. I guess I’m just more of a fan of traditional open-and-close folding wallets.

Going back to my local retailer to have another look at the Bellroy offerings today.

Keep in mind you can get these at a lower cost through Surfstitch using a coupon code. I saved $25 and got free shipping doing that.

Bellroy Note Sleeve. It’s great :smile:

I too recently upgraded to the Bellroy Note Sleeve and (mostly) love it.

I wanted something much slimmer than my old wallet so gave the Bellroy a try. Always had leather so that wasn’t a question, but thinness was. I lost a couple of cards in the switch over, but kept most of them. Having the cards stacked makes a huge difference, so much so that I think the newly packed wallet is slimmer than the old one that is now empty!

(that’s a photo from day 0, it sits more flat a few weeks on).

The only concern I have had at all is about getting bills in and out of the wallet. It’s small. Where the old one opened up very wide to get things in and out this one is quite tight. I’m getting used to it, but it was one of the first things I noticed after the switch. Along the same lines I find that the little flap on the hidden pockets tends to catch the bills when you are taking them out. A minor annoyance that’s becoming less as you learn how to get things in and out of the wallet most effectively.

Bottom line though, I’m very happy with my purchase (and love the blue ;))

1 Like

OK, I splurged and picked up a Bellroy Slim Sleeve today. It’s slightly smaller than my current wallet, and while I was initially concerned about folding notes, but seeing as I hardly ever carry cash anyway it shouldn’t be that much of an issue.

Still not entirely sold on it, but I’m going to put that down to “might take some getting used to” rather than anxiety about a new wallet purchase.

I’ve had a Bellroy Note Sleeve for about 6 months. I really like the design and size but unfortunately it tends to shape itself around my cards, meaning I have a big rectangular bulge in the leather now. I think I’ll go for the Slim next time in combination with the Note, and keep regular cards in the Slim and irregular ones in the Note

You’ve already bought one, but eh.

I’ve got an older version of these from Stewart Stand.

The card slots in mine go along the height of the card, rather than across it, so it’s a li’l smaller, but it’s otherwise the same. I’ve had it for five years now and I love it. It doesn’t gradually expand like leather/pleather/tire rubber wallets do, but at the same time it’s more flexible than Tyvek/PVC wallets (due to the woven nylon outer fold).

Mine has some wear marks from old style credit cards (the embossed alphanumerics), so I may replace it with a different patterned one in a while, maybe a few years.

Edit: Didn’t look at the photos closely enough, mine’s a slightly smaller one they no longer sell.

+1 on the Bellroy Card Sleeve.

It’s a challenge getting down to that size from a regular wallet but once I got use to it, it’s the best thing ever. And it’s an Australian company to boot!

[quote=“sendai, post:16, topic:136”]
You’ve already bought one, but eh.
[/quote]So, funny story; I used the Bellroy Slim Sleeve for a day, then decided I didn’t like it. (The leather part was OK, but But the store I bought it from didn’t offer refunds, only exchange/credit. I wanted to swap it for the Bellroy Note Sleeve (yes, I wanted a more “traditional” wallet), but they only had a brown in stock with no ETA on the black.

I ended up selling the Slim Sleeve. Made a tiny loss but I guess that’s what I get for jumping on something before I really knew what I wanted.

In the meantime, I’ve already ordered a Slimfold — for $20 I can’t really go wrong. Maybe when I find the Note Sleeve in black I’ll give the leather wallet another go.

I’m probably going to go with this one.

https://grandst.com/p/wallybifoldwallet

That looks really good actually, @tcn33.