Anyone Playing With Old Macs

Back in the day, I could play Tom Spreen’s “Rescue” with all of the hardest settings… and win! Just tried it out… :} Destroyed in 2 minutes.

Was going to try link a pic but can’t find one that works. But - just found out someone released a version that’s full on TREK - “Rescue! Max”. Gonna have to check that out! (Though - it’s not Tom’s work.)

Tried Max… great visuals, otherwise - needs work! OS X java game.

Things you forget about…

System crashes…!

Playing Escape Velocity… died… went to reload my pilot and - cursor changed to some strange lines… ESC… Cmd Q… CTRL TAB… nothing getting me out… Cmd Option ESC - tried to bring up the restart dialogue box, but it didnt even fill in the contents… Had to use hard power down…

Things you don’t miss about old computers…

I don’t remember ever having much trouble with mine. My PM7300 ran like clockwork for many years. Especially with all the upgrades and all the unsupported crap it had on it!

I put both these 3dfx Voodoo cards in my G4 earlier to try to work out what they are. It recognises both of them. One is a Skywell Magic 3D II Voodoo 2 card & the other is a 3dfx Voodoo3 2000 PCI SDR card. I can test the Voodoo 3 card easy enough I think as I found drivers & a utility to flash it back & forward to Mac or PC. It has a single VGA connector. The Voodoo 2 card doesn’t need to be flashed, it’ll work in a Mac with just the correct extensions, which I have found. But it’s a passthrough card & I’m not sure what will happen if I hook it up to the Radeon 8500 I have in the G4!

Looking for Pismo batteries out of interest… and found this:

$195 for a repack.

I believe the whole computer sells for around $400 on eBay these days, so you’d really want to be attached to it. (Which I am - but think I could probably make do with being connected to the charger…)

Yeah, that’s a lot to spend on a more than 20 year old laptop…

I found a “how to” repack the Pismo’s batteries - only to have a note at the end saying “2 years later - 1 was totally dead, and 1 only holding 30min charge - seems to be something wrong…”

Do you have a link to that? I’m really finding it difficult to work out how to get this thing apart without destroying it!

I have seen videos on YouTube of people rebuilding iBook etc. batteries & one thing they do stress is to make sure you use high quality cells. Not just cheap Chinese ones from eBay…

http://fweb.wallawalla.edu/~frohro/Powerbook/Pismo/Battery/

That’s the link I found… but reading it fully now - the instructions to open the battery are / were here:

http://homepage.mac.com/sysop/PhotoAlbum18.html

And that seems to be dead…

Yeah, it’s a pity, a lot of these handy old links are dead ends now…

I often used to save copies of websites that I felt were important (ie to me). Haven’t done it for ages.

Oh! But - Ha! Here you go:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100418022806/http://homepage.mac.com/sysop/PhotoAlbum18.html

Thanks to the Wayback Machine.

Mind you… the instructions don’t offer anything terribly useful. Just standard “stick a knife in, then slowly work around”…

Ah! Thanks for that! At least it is a bit of an insight.

Also, from the other link, I noticed that the cells being replaced were Sony branded whereas the new ones he used were just generic unbranded. That’s most likely why they didn’t last very long.

The other thing I realised yesterday is that my Pismo battery isn’t the original. It’s a Newertech replacement. Might be harder to get apart! I don’t know where the original battery would be. I can’t imagine that I would throw it out.

You’ll have to let me know how you go. :slight_smile:

I have to admit, when I got the Pismo out last weekend and charged it up for the first time in many years, I opted not to leave it plugged into a power source overnight at first, as I had images of it combusting… although I don’t believe the Pismo/G3 Powerbooks ever had these concerns. We are however talking about a 20+ year old battery pack…

Yes. Better safe than sorry…

I dusted off my old Power Mac G4 Digital Audio Dual 533MHz. On the weekend. It’s running OS 9.2.2 on one hard drive & OS X 10.5.8 on the other. I’m going to wipe that drive soon & install Sorbet Leopard. It really runs like a dream for such an old machine. I’m really only going to use it to run some old games to be honest. I’m using it with an old LG Flatron L1953T I got given a while ago which is actually quite a nice display for it’s age.

I was always into combat sims & flight combat sims mostly. My goto game back in the day was F/A-18 Korea. I remember always wanting to get Falcon 4 as it was supposed to be the king of combat flight sims back in the day, especially on the Mac anyway. I’m not really sure why I never got it. So, I downloaded and installed it tonight and what a disappointment. It looks terrible! It’s actually a bit difficult telling the difference between 3D & software rendering. Now I know you can’t expect too much from old games but Hornet Korea & also Medal of Honor Allied Assault (which I have the original disks for) actually look quite awesome. This Mac is running an AGP ATI Radeon Mac Edition 8500 which I’m pretty sure is about the most powerful card you could run under OS 9.

Anyway, it just goes to show…

I ‘missed’ the G4 (and G3) tower era. Thought they were pretty cool, but was happy with my TAM, after a very brief outing with my original dream machine - the Quadra 840av.

Sounds like you have a very nice collection!

I have a Mirror Drive Door Dual 1.25 also. I only got given these after I had bought my 2010 Mac Pro though. More or less rescued them from the tip I suppose.

I upgrade my PM 7300 (my first Mac, I got in 1997) a few times. It was a 800Mz G4 when I replaced it with the last model G5. All the stuff from the 7300 is in a PM 9600 now. The 9600 & the MDD are packed away at the moment. I seem to have a distinct lack of period keyboards & mice though.

Anyone know anything about internet sharing? I am trying to share the internet from my Mac mini to the Digital Audio G4 via ethernet. It all appears to be connected ok but internet is not working on the G4…

I have definitely done that in the past plenty of times, and as long as the boxes are ticked correctly on the mini it should be working… unless Apple has gated that feature from working with older machines…?

Ok. Not really sure what boxes should/should not be ticked on the Mac mini! I know the security on the G4 is too old for my router. I have an old Airport base station (a couple actually) that I plugged into my router a while ago & my Pismo connected straight away, no problem. But the wife doesn’t want it plugged in permanently because it takes up too much precious bench space! :roll_eyes:

So, I thought I could just plug it into the mini and share the internet to it. Then just plug the G4 in with ethernet or use Airport. But something has gone awry somewhere…

Got it! I was obviously over complicating it! I just connected the two by ethernet cable & played with the sharing preferences on the mini & hey presto… :smiley:

1 Like

I’m just now in the process of installing Sorbet Leopard on my Power Mac G4. So far, so good…

I thought Cosmic might be interested in these couple of recent TAM videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ZBK8fPSLs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kKZl-YJmkk

I watch a few of this guy’s videos. He is quite entertaining…

1 Like