Apple Event 4am 14 Oct 2020

Arrgghh… I fail when it comes to shiny things.

I kept telling myself that the iPhone 12 was outside my budget and that I should either wait another 12 months or buy an iPhone 11 as an upgrade from my Xr.

So… I was browsing across the carrier websites and I err accidently filled in the pre-registrations for pre-ordering for the iPhone 12 on the Vodafone web site :laughing:

Their $45 plan with 60Gb then endless data at 10MBps plan (plus phone payments) seems like good value and now that I’m in town not out in the bush Vodafone will work for me.

I’ll probably downgrade my NBN to a cheaper slower plan to balance out extra phone payment (he says… rationalizing the future new phone purchase) :wink:

Mobile Monster say they’ll give me $520 for my Xr which isn’t bad (although that might drop by the time the 12 is here) which will offset a bit of the cost.

2 Likes

Mobile Muster used to allow up to xx days to return the phone which would allow you to lock in a price now. I can’t see how long that is, but if you’re getting the phone very soon it might all work out.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of that, I will check it out thanks :slight_smile:

Not happy. Just got off the phone with Telstra, only 15 mins on hold which wasn’t bad. I should be greatful that I managed to speak to a human rather than converse online or via the app to a useless bot. News to me is that I have a lease and a contract and they do not expire at the same time.

lease ends 5/11/2020, cost to buy my XS would be $663!
contract ends 5/5/2021, cost to buy my XS “about $400-$500”! (for some reason he could not give me a precise figure)

I must admit that I was not able to fully understand all of my options. I’d rather go into a Telstra store and sort this out but I live in Melbourne and everything is shut. I guess I’ll just wait a few more weeks and hopefully retail stores will re-open and I can consider my options, including Telstra’s iPhone 12 plans.

I have never bought an iPhone outright upon its release, I have always gone on a contract or lease, but maybe I need to reconsider. That would give me more control and flexibility over what data plan to get. If leasing was still an option, I’d happily give my XS back, get an iPhone 12 and start a new lease/contract. It’s just less headaches for me than any alternative. I guess Telstra decided that leases were not in their best interests.

2 Likes

Leasing was always a very odd value proposition.

Save about $10 / month (so only $240 over the average contract) and either hand the phone back or buy it out for an unknown ‘market value’ or however they phrased it.

If you didn’t want the hassle of selling privately and wanted a small discount month to month it was OK. But the fact it was presented as the default option I think sucked a lot of people in.

Most other carriers have moved to a ‘no contract’ deal where you can leave without penalty at anytime, although you do have to pay out the remaining handset payments. A very reasonable deal (led by Vodafone I might add) Optus followed along and I though so did Telstra.

Your current deal sounds a little screwy, but probably due to a mid cycle upgrade? I though that simply allowed you to start a new contract so any new plan/lease/deal would be from that date?? (and that’s the narrative I would stick to if push came to shove). If in doubt of your rights the TIO is actually pretty good and I’ve had good outcomes (lots of years ago to be fair) when they made a call on my behalf and my carrier of the day suddenly decided that maybe my position was quite reasonable after all… in fact in that particular case they actually offered me more than I had actually asked for so … YAY me!

1 Like

I leased an iPhone X in 2017, 12 months later I took the option to cancel the contract by paying $99, returning the iPhone X and starting on a new lease with an iPhone XS. Eight months later Telstra stopped offering new leases. I might be able to salary package a phone through work, not sure, I will have to look into it.

Does that mean you ended up on a three year contract somehow that second time around?

1 Like

I had just about persuaded myself to get a new phone and then I remembered that I have my cat’s annual jabs and physical (thats this morning) and car CTP and rego plus the annual hideously expensive service at NRMA Kotara. I dont mind going there because theres a decent sitting/waiting area, etc. So no new shinies for me this year. Maybe next.

Mobile Monster offer 14 days, locked in $1000 on my iPhone 11 two weeks ago, happy with that. Have always had a great service from them.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Apple’s One More Thing event Nov 2020