iPhone 12 Preorder thread 2020

Don’t worry, China will provide plenty of options:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-iPhone-12-Pro-Max-mini-Bumper-Case-Hard-Slim-Aluminum-Metal-Soft-TPU-Cover/353246410720?var=622445537904&hash=item523f2077e0:g:hFkAAOSwkUhfkPLy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LUPHIE-For-iphone-12-12MINI-ProMax-Metal-Bumper-Aluminum-Hard-Protect-Case-Cover/402506390606?var=672718224063&hash=item5db7401c4e:g:c6wAAOSwJJpfkFfa

The bumpers did look good but they didn’t offer much in the way of protection.

1 Like

Unless you wanted full bars…

tumblr_l4qrzc298n1qawhp7o1_500

1 Like

Must say I am loving my iPhone 12 mini in blue.

1 Like

I was going to ask if anyone had chosen the Mini. Thats the one I will get (eventually)… glad its going well :slight_smile:

mini with no notch would be awesome, not sure when that will happen

I do not understand why the notch is such a huge hassle…

1 Like

The notch is a bit bigger than most other phones but OTOH there are more devices in it than just a simple single camera so I understand why.

I would be ok with a smaller, tear drop style notch if Apple can do it but I really don’t want an off centre punch hole type camera which some android devices have (thatt makes my OCD feel uncomfortable because it’s not symetric in location).

Yeah… for those of us still using the old style iphone, it all seems like a storm in a teacup.

I will say the blue on the mini does show fingerprints. Almost has me pondering buying a clear case.

Perhaps you are unaware that the stupid notch is probably the biggest gripe of iPhone owners. Would you accept a large notch in your TV? How about your computer? Maybe on the screen at the cinemas?

I don’t think you’re comparing ‘apples with apples’ there (pun intended).

All of the devices you have listed have bezels large enough to hide the various cameras and light sensors but with phones one of the defining characteristics these days is edge to edge display (no bezels).

That leaves Apple stuck between a rock and a hard place, many of the reasons that their front facing camera and face recognition work so well are tied into that large notch’s position and size.

Would you choose a smaller notch if it came with reduced selfie camera performance or less accurate face regonition?

Personally that’s not a trade off I’d like to make.

1 Like

I don’t have a front facing camera or a place to listen to a phonecall on either so no.

I thought you used an iPhone?

I was referring to Kerr’s comments about TV and computer.

1 Like

I got one, to finally replace my SE. It’s what I wanted - a phone I can still use with one hand and fit in my pocket - and I am generally very happy, though the battery life is definitely not as good as I’d hoped and not even in the same league as the SE was when new. I could go 3-4 days between charges if I wasn’t doing much with it, but the Mini only goes 2 days no matter what I don’t do. I predict that will get frustrating by the time the battery’s under 90% capacity.

Camera’s good though. And computational photography is getting better and better. Still nothing like SLR quality, but skin tones and other recognisable elements like skies are lovely. Perfect for people who want to shoot and share. I’m still exploring the low light capabilities but it seems good here too.

And I don’t understand the issue with the notch either. It’s kind of obvious on the lock & home screens, but I don’t notice it elsewhere.

1 Like

Agree on the battery life as the only negative of the mini. It is Ok now, but what will it be like in two years’ time?
Otherwise loving it.

1 Like

I went with a green 12 mini and I love the size. Only knock for me that matters is the lack of 2x camera (I would actually use that, unlike the worthless .5x lens). Battery life is noticably shorter but if I leave home, I tend to drive wherever I’m going and my CarPlay head unit charges the phone to top it up so no big deal. Lamp on desk has Qi built in. :man_shrugging: I miss the camera more than the battery life of the Max.