Apple 7 September 2016 Event thread

We watched the keynote in the workshop this morning. Some new products were introduced, it was the best iPhone they’ve ever made, have Jony talk about aluminium like it’s the second coming of jesus, Phil explains how courageous Apple is to remove a connector, thank everyone for coming.

I wandered off somewhere around the time Tim started on Sweet Home Alabama alongside James Corden in Carpool Karaoke. Didn’t even make it to the “Good Morning!”.

Probably comes as no real surprise from someone that connects an iPod via 3.5mm to a cassette adapter in a stock head unit of a 15 year old car that predates the concept of fuel economy- but these keynotes do nothing for me anymore. All marketing, nothing that actually makes me think that my life would be X times better than it already is if I purchased the new insert product here.

The commentary that ensued has been brilliant though. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Apple iPhone 7 Plus 256GB with AppleCare+,
Leather Case, Lightning Dock, AirPods

Only $2,137 #bargain

Yeah whats with the price rise?

I have been a full Mac user for roughly 15 years now, since owning an iMac G4, and having owned Macs and PCs since my first unit being a 6100/66, back when you could keep a Mac in service for 6 and 7 years at a time with updates. 4 or 5 desktops later, a G5 Xserve, 3 laptops since the original aluminum MacBook… as well as 4 phones and 3 ipods.

For the first time in my life I could not care any less about the state of Apple as a company. I think that’s troubling when dedicated Apple users, who went through the Mac evangelism stages no longer give a toss.

Sure there will be the evangelicals that shoot you down in flames, but what do I care… really? Pretty much the only reason why I continue to use Macs now is that they’re running on a shiny version of Unix, that is less hassles to get apps for. I might as well get a BSD compatible laptop for a couple of hundred, an Android Phone and go from there. The UI on Unix/Linux/Android is mature enough now that it doesn’t require any back-end stuff to make it work and as a product, it’ll probably last longer to boot…

1 Like

@iMic

I agree, the keynotes do nothing for me :confused: I like new tech but its just oh so predictable these days. I think Apple holds back too much, and the whole 3.5mm thing really ticks me off as all here know.

First thoughts were, if you have to tout two new colours as a product feature … you’re in trouble. Second thought was, a company like Apple, that has a proud tradition of beautiful industrial design, comes up with something as fugly as the ‘air’ pods. It’s the first time I’ve had the ‘this wouldn’t have happened if Jobs was alive’ thought. Third thought was, after weeks of wondering what justification for removing the headphone jack they would use, they didn’t. They basically went for the marketing equivalent of “Fuck you, we did it because we can!”.

Ok a more measured assessment:
Better display - probably the one feature that would make me want to upgrade.
A10 processor - if it lives up to the marketing, obviously an improvement.
Stereo speakers - nice but doesn’t negate the removal of the headphone jack for me.
New finishes - given the majority of people keep their phones in phone cases - meh.
Better camera - nice to have but again meh for me - I use an SLR for my ‘serious’ pictures. And given the majority of people use their phones for taking selfies, I’ve often wondered about the obsession with cameras on mobiles.
Waterproofing - again meh - haven’t needed it in 8 odd years of iPhone ownership.
Faster 4GLTE - will wait for ‘real world’ tests, especially here in our wonderful oversubscribed networks, but if it works as advertised it is the other big ticket item that would make me upgrade.
Removal of headphone jack - I think I’ve made my feelings about that one known.
Airpods - Disappointing. One word that springs to mind when I think of Apple design is elegant. These are NOT an elegant design.

I may change my mind after they hit the streets and people report their experience, but nothing about it is compelling enough at this stage for me to upgrade.

1 Like

To counter everyone hating on the new iPhone, because they think a particular feature is meh or because they somehow think the new iPhone should be tailored to their every personal need: I am going to buy the heck out of it tomorrow.

9 Likes

Splitter! :grin:

You and me both. Getting the 7+ and SE for
wifey, and a series 2 watch for myself.

1 Like

Now this is a good point!

IMO it’s the single reason that would truly justify removing the 3.5mm headphone port because it would mean that one could still use wired headphones without a dongle (albeit lightning ones) whilst charging the phone (without a dongle).

Apple really should have waited until they got wireless charging worked out.

I’m more interested in the 10 year anniversary model, next year.

Watch. No mention of better battery life and with GPS I imagine it might get worse.

Phone. Some nice stuff but I just got a 6S (and probably should have got the SE, still cant adapt to the larger screen) so cannot see a reason to update.

In case anyone here is in the US, avoid buying an AT&T or T-Mobile iPhone 7 (locked or unlocked) as they don’t support CDMA. No good if you move to a CDMA area in future, also likely to affect resale value. Verizon and Sprint are world phones.

I would imagine wireless charging is held over for the tenth anniversary model. And work at a distance. And it won’t have a lightning port.

Current iterations of wireless charging where you have to place the phone on a pad seem pointless. Might as well use a jack.

I wonder if all iPhones next year will be anniversary models, or will they charge extra for the super model?

No lightning port? That would be annoying.

Man, imagine the rage that will come with that!

This is now on the top of my want list for the 2017 phone, even though I won’t even be buying it.

1 Like

Why would you want it?

I’m assuming so he can sit back, eating popcorn and watch the ‘rage’ unfold as people realize Apple have deleted the Lightning port in the 10th Anniversary model :slight_smile:

I have to confess I’d find that mildly amusing as well (not that it’s going to happen).

It’s true; I love popcorn. :corn:

2 Likes

Imagine the nightmare having no Lightning connector would be for service. It’s such a common procedure to restore an iPhone when it develops a problem. Without a physical connector the only solution to a software issue would be a whole unit exchange at the Apple Store or repair centre, and here in Adelaide that currently takes about a week. A week of downtime without a phone because there’s nowhere to connect a damn cable and restore.

Also have fun transferring 256GB of content to an iPhone over WiFi.

Embrace the future. Practicality be damned.

But I wouldn’t be mad. I like pro audio gear, and if it means paying a premium for it while everyone else enjoys their wireless kit, so be it. Truth be told this isn’t a device I would have upgraded to anyway, but for some this will be exactly the change they wanted. And that’s cool. It’ll make many people happy.

I hope however that device and component manufacturers, be it from Apple or another vendor, continue to offer solutions for customers that A) don’t want to have to recharge their headphones on a regular basis and B) don’t mind their headphones being wired. If I have someone to go to that makes a decent product that satisfies my needs, I’m happy. If that product isn’t an iPhone, no big deal. It is what it is.

It does leave me concerned though that Apple, as the industry trendsetter, will be an influence for other manufacturers to eventually stop offering that option. Also to possibly fragment the industry to the point where we don’t have a universally accepted standard for wired audio.

Perhaps I should start the “Rumor: No Lighting Port in the iphone 8” thread now??? :slight_smile:

Oh and PS… STORE IS DOWN. As @phase pointed out on Twitter, that’s very early!

1 Like