The new Apple TV

I just remembered I was hoping yrs back that apple might make this into some kind of TiVo competitor as well. One day ours will break and there still is nothing like them here.

I kind of think those days are coming to an end. I see streaming on-demand content to be the future of the market.

Having said that, if you get Foxtel without a contract you can go on a $10pm IQ only plan and it does an awesome job of scheduling and recording shows - you can even do it from your iPhone. Thatā€™s what I do myself with an IQ2. Mind you, where I am I get all the FTA channels through it. Itā€™d be pointless if you didnā€™t get them where you are.

Between Netflix and catchup TV I have kinda lost interest in recording or downloading content. I have a non-functional Topfield which I really should get repaired (its the power supply) and sell on, probably just for the cost of the repairs, and if I really want to record anything I still have an eyeTV. Otherwise I canā€™t see any point to it.

I still use my Topfield - would be pretty unhappy without it ā€¦ ! Netflix sounded better than it is in my opinion. Too many US shows, not enough UK ones, which tend to be my favourites.

I also subscribe to Uflix which gets other options like BBC Iplayer, and other countriesā€™ Netflix. I mostly do US netflix which has a surprising number of UK and Aus shows. Alternatives to uflix at greater cost are Getflix and Unotelly. I chose Uflix because its Australian. Getflix used to be but is not, any longer.

Well, that sounds really interesting Kate, thanks. Think Iā€™ll sign up for that - but maybe not till I get back from an o/s trip imma out to make ā€¦ Only just came over from Mactalk but already itā€™s proving a good move!

Sorry about the autocorrection Kyte!!!

1 Like

Recording is still a good thing as a lot of the stuff is better res than the catchup apps. If they allowed plugging an external hardware with a decent recording app, I would switch. Nothing comes close to the Tivo for our kids to use at the moment.

Once youā€™ve signed up you can use sites like these to see whatā€™s on in different regions:

If youā€™re willing to create a US iTunes account thereā€™s also ways to get Hulu and HBO Now on your Apple TV as wellā€¦but theyā€™re a little more advanced

Hulu is super easy to set up. While you need a US account to install it on the iPad/iPhone, you can access it on the current AppleTV in the settings menu just by changing your iTunes region to USA. It will appear immediately.

As for HBO Now, I used it when it launched, but then I received an email from them saying that my account was being disabled because they somehow figured out that I wasnā€™t in the US. Not sure how that happened, but I havenā€™t tried getting back in since.

I thought with HBO Now you had to have a cable subscription? Or is that HBO Go - and do you need a US Credit Card?

HBO Now is the standalone service. You donā€™t need a US credit card, I just use prepaid iTunes US credit via Offgamers and I have a US iTunes account with a US address. You also need a service like Getflix. It lets you have 3 simultaneous streams too, so I went in with 2 other family members which makes it quite affordable.

For you and me maybe, but if you had to get your mum to do it over the phone it wouldnā€™t be too easy

Guy English has a pretty good explanation of the app download thing in the latest Vector podcast. Basically once the appā€™s loaded it will begin downloading required content (which we already knew). Itā€™s a lot more granular than what weā€™ve already read though, so if you have a game that has three grassy levels, it only needs to download the textures for those levels once. And then just needs to download the additional content in the later 2 levels.

With our dollar dropping heavily Iā€™m not expecting these to be cheap. Looks like I might be hanging onto my 3rd gens for a little longer :frowning:

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing $279 for the base. Hope Iā€™m wrong.

Thatā€™s about my guess too. Reckon Iā€™ll be hanging onto the ATV3s a while longer at that price.

Noooo, donā€™t even say it :cry:

Iā€™m still going to get it. Itā€™s something we use daily.

Deep down you know heā€™s likely right.

Oh, Iā€™m still getting it.